X

Disgusting front brake fluid

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disgusting front brake fluid

Started to flush the brake fluid with new stuff, took off the front cap and what was in there looked like used motor oil with slimy goo at the bottom, YUCK.
    Used a syringe to suck most of it out then cleaned the rest out with paper towel.
    Attached Files
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

your going to have to flush out the lines too. try reverse bleeding.
    it works well.

Comment

Originally posted by loneraider View Post
      your going to have to flush out the lines too. try reverse bleeding.
      it works well.
      yupper, mine looked pretty similar. Bled, reverse bled an repeated til it was clean
      94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Yes, I already flushed the rear, started to do the front and it decided to start raining

Reverse bleeding? How is that done? Do I need special tools?
        Last edited by ZookRick; 08-27-2013, 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

I found this exceptionally easy to use. And no mess at all.

This is for standard (not reverse) bleeding.
          Extra life.

Comment

Originally posted by rockat View Post
            I found this exceptionally easy to use. And no mess at all.

This is for standard (not reverse) bleeding.
            I bought a setup locally that had the hose and a one way valve, so you shouldnt have to open and close the bleeder screw. It worked for the first 5 minutes, then it turned into a 2 way valve and I had to open and close it anyway. Used an old pop bottle for collection.
            Some pretty nasty fluid came out along with a fair amount of air, brakes feel much firmer now.
            1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

Cool. You probably already know, but just make sure you get ALL of the air out of them bad boys.
              Last edited by rockat; 08-27-2013, 03:18 PM.
              Extra life.

Comment

Wow, and I thought mine was bad. I also had to clear the reservoir and wipe it down. I just pumped the brakes to flush it though, no air bubbles and got the old stuff out just fine.

Comment

I took a clear rubber line like fuel line (about 3 ft) an squeezed one end on the bleeder nipple with fluid about half way in the tube (like with a straw in a cup you put your finger over the upper end) then raise the hose vertical for a min for any bubbles to rise out. Next I took an air attachment (the one you blow shit with that has a pointed tip an a trigger/lever) an stick that in the upper end of the hose. I had about 20lbs in the air line..DONT HIT IT WITH 100 PSI! That can end badly lol just slowly work up to a suitable psi. An be sure the reservoir is almost empty or it will overflow
                  94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

I've seen crappy old brake fluid before - but never anything that looked like that!!!

Even the gunk in my completely unserviced Yamaha XJ600 looked way better!

Are you sure it wasn't engine oil lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                      I've seen crappy old brake fluid before - but never anything that looked like that!!!

Even the gunk in my completely unserviced Yamaha XJ600 looked way better!

Are you sure it wasn't engine oil lol!
                      Yup, pretty bad. If it was engine oil the top cap rubber would have swelled. I knew a guy that put engine oil in the master in his truck, and ALL of the rubber parts in the brake system had to be replaced, $$$. Strange though, as nasty as it was up there, what came out of the calipers wasn't as bad.
                      1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

Working...
                      X