X

Best value suspension setup

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best value suspension setup

Looking for opinions on the best value (but not necessarily cheapest) way to get the most from my bike in the twisty bits. I've seen other threads that mentioned raising the rear depending on which shock is fitted. Would that make such a big difference to the handling?

At the moment, the suspension is standard, (and absolutely hanging) it squirms every time i open the throttle even slightly, anywhere near the side of the tyre, the front is very vague and baggy too. Mind you, that could also be to do wih the 2005 tyres...

I'm a bit confused because the R6 shock conversion seems to lower the bike and that's not something I want to do, will a Bandit one make any difference to the height?

All help and advice is very much appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry, it's a 1994 600.
    Last edited by Ronny; 08-17-2013, 07:02 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Contact Tmod for a race tech upgrade and a shock upgrade. or contact race tech and ask for terry. My Suspension is race tech, front and an r6 rear shock with a race tech spring.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

contact tmod as stated. he will tell you what you need based on what kind of money you got
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Higher rear would increase the turn in and response of the bike making tight curves easier. It would be much more responsive and "agile" feeling.

If you have the inseam, I would highly recommend it.

As for the setup... I agree 100% with contact Tmod, but... Your probably looking at racetech springs and gold valve emulators for the front (with rebuild of oil/seals included) and a rebuilt rear shock and replaced spring. I personally went with the B12 2nd gen shock rebuilt and modified by Terry at racetech, and love it. It does raise the rear a bit, but that just made it even better in the curves around here.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Has anyone mentioned that you should contact Tmod???

Seriously, he'll hook you up, not only when it comes to parts but also with information. Good dude.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks chaps, I take it Tmod is in the USA though?

Kreylyn, the raised rear sounds like what I want because I prefer a forward bias on a bike with weight towards the front.

Will have a scout around for a B12 shock and get rebuilding!

Ooops, will any B12 shock fit or are there specific years?
            Last edited by Ronny; 08-18-2013, 04:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
              Thanks chaps, I take it Tmod is in the USA though?

Kreylyn, the raised rear sounds like what I want because I prefer a forward bias on a bike with weight towards the front.

Will have a scout around for a B12 shock and get rebuilding!

Ooops, will any B12 shock fit or are there specific years?
              2002+ B1200 (NOT the 1250...) It needs to be modified and rebuilt. A new spring, re-valved for the spring you get and stroke length, and shimmed to slightly shorten the stroke length (to prevent it from contacting the cushion and bending/breaking hard parts).

Don't use progressive springs on the front... get emulators if you can.

Do you have a Racetech dealer in the UK?

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just been having a look for the Bandit shock and they seem fairly hard to come by. Is there an alternative I could use, or just get the standard one rebuilt?

The only Racetech dealer I can find seems to do off-road stuff only. It's not a problem though, I'm sure Racetech will ship direct from the USA.

I was pleasantly surprised at the price of the emulators, thought they would be much more expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
                  Just been having a look for the Bandit shock and they seem fairly hard to come by. Is there an alternative I could use, or just get the standard one rebuilt?

The only Racetech dealer I can find seems to do off-road stuff only. It's not a problem though, I'm sure Racetech will ship direct from the USA.

I was pleasantly surprised at the price of the emulators, thought they would be much more expensive!

Your stock shock can not be rebuilt.

If your considering racetech in the US, have Terry do the work for you by request. He's intimately knowledgeable about what needs to be done to set these up for the Kats.

There are several shocks on ebay.com (US version) that you could just have shipped directly to racetech before they send it on to you.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

Well after spending much of my day off looking at all the options (there is sooo much good info on here!) I think I'll just get the Racetech emulator kit from you guys across the pond and a Hagon rear. They're only about 20 miles from me.

The shock seems very expensive compared to the cost of the bike, but I was looking for a rolling project that would be fairly sleeper-ish and that's what I got, I suppose.

Really what I'm aiming for is a stock-looking bike that'll keep up with more modern stuff in the bends. The amount of people I see on 600 SS bikes, with no idea how to ride them is comical, eight or nine guys in shorts and t-shirts racing each other through traffic is a common sight

Comment

Working...
                    X