Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Is there a general rule of thumb for adjusting back shock according to weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a general rule of thumb for adjusting back shock according to weight?

I have a 2000 Kat 600. I have already searched info on adjusting the back shock, and learned a good bit, but I couldn't find anything on what number it should be at for riding with a passenger and the combination of weight of both operator and passenger.

When I get the kat up and running again the wife may ride with me every now and then. Our combined weight will be anywhere from 365-375 lbs, what number should I have the back shock adjusted to? I know that a sportier bike is not ideal for it, but due to money issues, I barely have enough to get the kat running again, if I even have enough for that, so buying another bike is out of the question, and redoing the shock from another bike is out of the question at the moment to.

would I crank it to 7 and then just add some more psi to tires, or is it just not safe to put that much on the bike??

Bump the shock up a notch or two and see how she handles, IIRC it's in the owners manual for the recommended shock setting for 2 up.
    Kyle

Comment

The stock kat shock sucks, however there is an interchange guide with swapping in gsxr and bandit shocks which are a improvement. You would just have to find one off ebay or on the for sale forum.

Comment

Sag should be 33-35mm.

Sag is the result of the difference between 2 measurements.

Measure axle to the tail of the bike at a fixed point, with the tire off the ground (no weight on the swingarm).

Measure again to the same spot with the weight on the bike (for example, you and wife suited up).

Subtract the 2nd measurement from the first, and your shooting for that to be 33-35mm.

If it's more, go up a notch on the shock preload, and do the measurements again.

If you hit the max setting of 7 and sag is still over 35mm... you can only fix that with a new spring (or new shock more likely...)

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks for the info, I don't have an owners manual, so I will have to do that trick, and go from there. it'll be like her second time on a bike, and she is kinda skiddish of em, so if she does want to ride it, I don't want anything bad to happen, and make her more spooked of it.

Comment

Don't forget your running a 13 year old shock, so you may end up not even noticing a difference if she's worn out.
            Kyle

Comment

Replace and rebuild. Upgrade it.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Sag should be 33-35mm.

Sag is the result of the difference between 2 measurements.

Measure axle to the tail of the bike at a fixed point, with the tire off the ground (no weight on the swingarm).

Measure again to the same spot with the weight on the bike (for example, you and wife suited up).

Subtract the 2nd measurement from the first, and your shooting for that to be 33-35mm.

If it's more, go up a notch on the shock preload, and do the measurements again.

If you hit the max setting of 7 and sag is still over 35mm... you can only fix that with a new spring (or new shock more likely...)

Krey
                I'm gonna have to go home and try this tonight.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X