X

Suspension Advice...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Advice...

I've seen conflicting things regarding rear shock replacement for Kats. There are many who've done the 'Busa or Bandit shock, and then I read other threads that state the Bandit shock will hit at some point and I saw a post by Tmod when I was searching that said it was a bad idea to do a 'Busa shock.

So... I have a 1995 GSX600f. The rear shock is the original. It's not terrible when I ride it by myself, but the wife recently took an interest in riding with me. So here's the issue. I'm not small. I find the Kat to be fairly comfortable (I put 570 miles on it my first day on the bike and haven't slowed down since then). However, I an 6'1" and 280lbs with all my riding gear on. I've got a set of saddle bags that are generally half full with water, tools, rain flys for the bags and other general stuff you might need when riding in Montana where the weather can change in an instant. With the wife on a short ten mile ride this week, the rear shock was very close to bottoming out.

Many would say I need a different bike, but $$$ is an issue in that department. This is the bike I have, and I have to do my best to make it what I need it to be because I can't afford to purchase a different bike.

That being said, I am 280lbs with my riding gear and my wife is 5'11" and has an athletic build. What are my best options for rear shock on the 05 Kat 600? I don't care if it raises the tail a little (I also have lowering links in the garage that came with the bike), I just want a shock that can better manage the weight when we ride two up or when I tour and the bike is loaded down.

I am posting this question because when I search I find conflicting information on what works. I don't mind cutting the battery box to fit a 'Busa shock, but one thread I read suggested that the 'Busa shock wasn't a good alternative. I've seen that a Bandit shock could bot right in, would that work in this instance? I realize that nothing may be perfect, but I would like to get as close as I can for as little $$$ as I can (yes I know that's a tough position to be in). Let's say I could spend $200 on a shock, is there anything I should be looking at? Rebuild my stock shock, go with a 'Busa or Bandit shock, something else?

I have found this forum a wealth of knowledge and appreciate all the input I have received in helping me enjoy my Kat thus far. It's a comfortable bike, and with a little work it will be a great tourer in my opinion...

Moto_Geek

I had a first generation Hayabusa shock on my pre. I am 170. Had to mod the battery box but other than that it bolted right in and works fine with adjustablity.
    sigpic

Comment

I personally would suggest you get a use bandit 1200 second gen shock.

Here is one for $49 with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-05-Suzuki...d3d136&vxp=mtr

Buy that and have it sent to Terry at racetech.

Give him your weight information and request he match a spring, and shim the shaft to reduce the height change by 1/2".

Put the rebuilt shock on your bike and discover amazement.

Spring is probably around $100, rebuild is probably around $125. Mention KR and you should get a 20% discount. Final product bolts right in, fits with no mods, will slightly raise the rear giving you a much better performance, clearance, and over all... your gonna likey a lot!

Every other shock you try to mount with out a spring swap WILL also have too weak of a spring for your weights, and will not perform much better.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Here is one for $49 with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-05-Suzuki...d3d136&vxp=mtr

Give him your weight information and request he match a spring, and shim the shaft to reduce the height change by 1/2".

Spring is probably around $100, rebuild is probably around $125. Mention KR and you should get a 20% discount. Final product bolts right in, fits with no mods, will slightly raise the rear giving you a much better performance, clearance, and over all... your gonna likey a lot!

Every other shock you try to mount with out a spring swap WILL also have too weak of a spring for your weights, and will not perform much better.

Krey
        Sounds like great advice... How do I get a hold of Terry?

Comment

Originally posted by Moto_Geek View Post
          Sounds like great advice... How do I get a hold of Terry?
          Here you go:
          http://katriders.com/vb/member.php?u=9497

I had him rebuild my rear shock, and can vouch for the quality of his work.
          2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Krey

Would you recommend this shock for a rider around 190 riding solo? (Still a rookie and not interested in passengers anytime soon) I am only 5'7" and barely tall enough (for my tastes) for the kat as is so I'm trying to avoid a rise more than 1" or so... I know this 92 shock is probably shot though, so I'm considering options for some winter upgrades!
            Last edited by DocCannabis; 06-13-2013, 01:35 AM.
            92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by yngveny View Post
              Here you go:
              http://katriders.com/vb/member.php?u=9497

I had him rebuild my rear shock, and can vouch for the quality of his work.
              Thanks I'll shoot him a message soon. It looks like the shock, and passenger riding, may have to be put on hold a bit. Yesterday after work my bike was knocked over while parked and now there are several things that need repalcing/fixing . Mirror, brake lever, bar end, turn signal all have to get replaced asap so I can resume our regularly scheduled broadcast...

Comment

You can just call race tech and schedule the sevice with them. On the customer service form write "Have Terry work on this" and ask for the Katriders.com racetech discount (20%)
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by DocCannabis View Post
                  Would you recommend this shock for a rider around 190 riding solo? (Still a rookie and not interested in passengers anytime soon) I am only 5'7" and barely tall enough (for my tastes) for the kat as is so I'm trying to avoid a rise more than 1" or so... I know this 92 shock is probably shot though, so I'm considering options for some winter upgrades!

No, for you I would recomend the 08+ R-6 shock.

It will lower the rear by 3/4", is good for up to 200lb rider and has plenty of adjustability to dial in.

Then adjust the front lower to match the drop in rear and your all set. I would suggest you get approrpiate weight rated springs, and talk with Terry about getting a set of longer springs for under the damping rod to match the 3/4" drop you need for the front. Emulators would be a really good idea (they make the forks work like they are supposed to...)

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

No, for you I would recomend the 08+ R-6 shock.

It will lower the rear by 3/4", is good for up to 200lb rider and has plenty of adjustability to dial in.

Then adjust the front lower to match the drop in rear and your all set. I would suggest you get approrpiate weight rated springs, and talk with Terry about getting a set of longer springs for under the damping rod to match the 3/4" drop you need for the front. Emulators would be a really good idea (they make the forks work like they are supposed to...)

Krey
                    Awesome! Thanks Krey!
                    92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

Working...
                    X