X

Forks sticking up through top yoke

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forks sticking up through top yoke

Hi folks, I was just looking through some of the photos of members bikes and noticed a strange thing. There are two brand new 600 Kats pictured in the introductions forum, one has the tops of the forks flush with the top yoke and theother has a couple of inches of fork tube sticking up above the yoke. What gives? If the forks are slid thru the clamps a couple of inches this will lower the front end of the bike and also affect the steering. Can anyone explain ? Cheers, Justintime.

Some raise the forks like that specifically to lower the bike so they can touch the ground!

Yep, it effects handling adversely AND reduces cornering clearance.

Short syndrom!
    Ron
    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
      Some raise the forks like that specifically to lower the bike so they can touch the ground!

Yep, it effects handling adversely AND reduces cornering clearance.

Short syndrom!
      not so fast meanstrk.

if the front & rear are lowered the same then the steering geometery stays the same - ground clearance is the only drawback.

lowering just the front becomes a matter of degree ( or inches ). i don't know the exact rake & trail numbers but the katana steers like a pig.
      i lowered mine ( raised the front forks ) by 3/8 ". I think it now has very neutral steering and a lot easier to get it flicked over.

after that i raised the rear by way of an RF900 rear shock & quickly discovered the effects of increasing the rake too much. the bike becomes twitchy.

after you start picking up the pace in the canyons - you'd do yourself well by raising the forks up a little bit and see how it feels. i would first get the proper fork springs to prevent ground clearance issues.

tim

Comment

I dropped my forks about 1/4 inch from stock.
        I was able to pick up some turn in speed that the
        new tire removed. Still as stable just flicks in better..

Comment

Working...
        X