X

Fork oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork oil

Just wondering if there is an easier and/or quicker way of changing the fork oil without removing forks? I read the manual and for some odd reason it looks difficult haha. '02 600 if that matters.

Like most things on the bike, it's easy, but it kind of takes more time than you probably want to spend. To answer your question, no...you have to take the forks off.

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
    swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
    Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.
    Extra life.

Comment

You could just pop the bolt at the fork bottom out and let it drain, but you'll have some residual fluid in the fork tube and valves if you don't clean it out.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Gonna be hard to pull that lower bolt when the damper rod starts spinning.

You're going to need the forks off the bike to set oil levels anyway. Do it the right way, you'll save a lot of frustration.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
          Gonna be hard to pull that lower bolt when the damper rod starts spinning.

You're going to need the forks off the bike to set oil levels anyway. Do it the right way, you'll save a lot of frustration.
          Shhh!
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Even the first time, it's probably only an hour to remove and replace the forks - 20 mins out / 40 mins in. Then just add to that the time you need to do the job on the forks themselves. If you are just draining and refilling, about another hour, which includes a beer while it drains.

Comment

Ya I figured all that. My time is kind of limited to work on things. I normally don't cut corners and I'm just changing the oil so shouldn't be too bad. I'm pretty sure I'm competent enough to do so! Appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Working...
              X