X

Swing arm swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing arm swap

Here me out. I have been searching but kept running into the "lower sub frame rails" issue. I am going to rebuild the sub frame so that is not an issue. Is there a swing arm that will allow for a 5 or 5.5 inch rear rim?

My first bike was a katana and did a lot of work to it. I have owned a few bikes now and enjoy working on them. And now I want to work on my welding and wrenching on bikes skills and build something. I am looking to build up another katana "street fighter" (I like the look of naked bikes) I was back on KP.com before it blew up.

My question is there a swing arm that will bolt up just to the frame?

Thanks
    Patrick
    Last edited by whitemax; 02-28-2013, 08:49 PM.

You should search for Kreylyn's thread on cutting and rewelding the swingarm. He'll probably pop in here as well.

Also, post Kat, or pre Kat?

Comment

Pre. And this one will be a pre too. Are there another options by any chance?

I did see the cut and weld option. I ask because I saw there were swing arms that would maybe fit minus the lower subframe links. Just curious.

Thanks for responding
      Last edited by whitemax; 02-28-2013, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whitemax View Post
        Pre. And this one will be a pre too. Are there another options by any chance?

I did see the cut and weld option. I ask because I saw there were swing arms that would maybe fit minus the lower subframe links. Just curious.

Thanks for responding

If your going to modify the subframe... then pick any pretty swingarm you want.

I'd mention... what are your plans/desires for exhaust?

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I've got a second gen Gsxr swinger polished that will allow you to run a 5.5

Comment

Do you know which swing arm will bolt right up to the katana frame (pre) ? I would weld up new rearset mounts. And weld up a new subframe with different plastics. So that should now be a big problem. Thanks for any help.
            Last edited by whitemax; 02-28-2013, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Do you know which swing arm will bolt right up to the katana frame (pre) ? I would weld up new rearset mounts. And weld up a new subframe with different plastics. So that should now be a big problem. Thanks for any help. This was my old sv and katana.

None.

There isn't another swingarm out there that you wont have to mod for to fit.... either the pivots vary in size, or the linkage is different.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaBears View Post
                I've got a second gen Gsxr swinger polished that will allow you to run a 5.5
                Does that bolt right up? Meaning i dont need to move the shock mount? I am trying to avoid rewelding everything. How is the chain line?

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                None.

There isn't another swingarm out there that you wont have to mod for to fit.... either the pivots vary in size, or the linkage is different.

Krey
                Okay thanks for the info! Is there one out there that would only take spacers or is "the easiest" to swap over? Any write-ups on any of these swaps? I am sure some people haved swapped swing arms since these bikes have been out for some time now. I am just do not want to re-invent the wheel.
                Last edited by whitemax; 02-28-2013, 10:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Krey is right none will "bolt right up" gsxr swing has clearance issues, best bet is to widen the one you have, krey has a good write up, that's what I went off of for my 5.5 gsxr swap with a 6" stretch

Comment

I guess this is my best bet. Thanks guys. I will post up when i am done. Thanks again!

Great site btw. Tons of information here.

Patrick

Comment

DaBears, more pics of your bike?
                      sigpic

Comment

I am curious. With the SV you can swap rear rims. Meaning, the pre-katana and post-katana/SV's rear rim can be interchanged. I remember that Zoran from (TWF Racing) makes captive spacers for the F3 to fit on the SV. I know the rear brake setup on the SV is different than the pre-katana's. but people have fit larger tires (170) without interference with the brake arm. http://www.twfracing.com/PartsPages/f3wheelconv.html

Thanks for any insight with this.

Patrick
                        Last edited by whitemax; 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I am curious. With the SV you can swap rear rims. Meaning, the pre-katana and post-katana/SV's rear rim can be interchanged. I remember that Zoran from (TWF Racing) makes captive spacers for the F3 to fit on the SV. I know the rear brake setup on the SV is different than the pre-katana's. but people have fit larger tires (170) without interference with the brake arm. http://www.twfracing.com/PartsPages/f3wheelconv.html

Thanks for any insight with this.

Patrick

Was there a question in that? :

A 170 will not fit properly with out rubbing the brake arm on a pre fyi... Unless someone has put it on the wrong rim and the rim is deforming the tire.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            Was there a question in that? :

A 170 will not fit properly with out rubbing the brake arm on a pre fyi... Unless someone has put it on the wrong rim and the rim is deforming the tire.

Krey
                            Just seeing if the swing arms are different between the SV and the pre-katana's, since the rear wheels are interchangeable. And if the swing arms are similar would the F3 wheel conversion kit fit on the pre-katana's? or does the brake arm just get in the way?

Comment

The 99 - 02 SV looks like it uses the same rear brake other than the fact that it is inverted. I had this conversion kit on my 03 SV and worked out alright. Anyone every try this or looked into in? http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-SV650...e93de5&vxp=mtr

Comment

Working...
                              X