Different Shock options?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Shock options?

So i searched for a couple key words but came up with nothing here,

I recently picked up a 97 600 Pre, and the rear shock is garbage soft, so i did the original research and found the 08 r6 shock replacement option which is great except, it does cost a pretty penny, i couldnt find any exact measurements of the mounting points of the shock though, so my question is

Newer Gsxr 750/1000 shocks have the same type of mounting, why do they not work?

I recently picked up an 07 GSXR 750 rear shock for my gsxr 1100 (the pre kat is the girlfriends bike) and that 750 shock has the same mount style as the 08+ r6

From the looks of it, the fork mounting point looks very similar, in distance down, if it was a matter of making it a little wider im sure small shaving could be done safely.

Any one have a solid answer?

Also, Heres a pic of the bike with Soupys Lowering Link and the shortened kick stand

Last edited by CytoGsxr; 08-07-2012, 11:21 PM.

It's not just the mounting points, but also total length/size, shaft stroke, spring rate, adjustability options, and finally (this is kinda big for alot of the shocks including at least 1 you pictured...) clearances for fitment.

The bottom 2 pics for example would require that you either majorly modify or completely relocate the battery box to fit it in.

Different bikes have different linkage setups and ratios. This means that the shocks will have varaiable travel length and spring setups. Just going by the "bike weight" isn't enough. I would strongly suggest you consider having an appropriate shock rebuilt to fit your needs.

Badfaerie currently has a Tmod rebuild r6 shock and it's pretty amazing.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Um...

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Wrong shock, That is the R6S just like it say in the description.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post

Tmod
          Lol, thanks

Yes im aware of the differences in all the factors in the shock, i just asked if anyone knew if it would mount up, spring rate is where it needs to be for the rider with that shock, linkage ratio i understand will differ however, the difference between the 07 ratio and the gsxr 1100 ratio is very clear but the shock still functions Amazing compared to the stock 1100 shock, as far as adjustability, it as all the necessary adjustments of any newer bike shock, which is more than the old kat shock.

So without needing all the technical aspects, im more than willing to give the shock a trial run with it mounted thats why i asked if it would mount up, i dont wanna purchase the shock without knowing if it mounts up, i dont have a spare, if clearance of the battery is an issue, ill remove it and use an A123 pack instead if the shock works, the bike is going to be built to fighter i think she is wanting to do, so i could lose the extra battery weight anyway

Comment

Tmod
            I noticed that after I posted, then ninja edited it.

$150 for a shock isnt bad at all
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

It wouldnt be bad, but i got my gsxr upgrade for 25.99 shipped.. haha hard to justify after that purchase

Comment

If you already have the gsxr shock then why dont you give it a try. Sounds like your kinda deadset on using it anyways. My guess is it will jack the back of the bike up some and more than likely have clearance issues with the battery box. But since your fightering the bike, make it work, right?

Comment

I run the r6 with a racetech spring. great shock easy install. slight mod to the battery box.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
                    If you already have the gsxr shock then why dont you give it a try. Sounds like your kinda deadset on using it anyways. My guess is it will jack the back of the bike up some and more than likely have clearance issues with the battery box. But since your fightering the bike, make it work, right?

The only reason i havent done it is because i just put it on my bike a couple days ago... feeling lazy so i thought id just buy another haha, i may give it a shot and let you guys know

Comment

We did just put the soupys lowering link on her bike and definitely impressed with the quality visually, as well as function, however, she is very short.. so we had to lower it a good amount for her to be flat footed, once shes comfortable enough and strong enough to hold the bike with the ball of her foot and toes ill raise it back up slowly, the front is dipped down on the triples too ill post a picture tomorrow, it looks sick but definitely gonna have some issues with clearance and turning, good think she doesnt weigh 220 like me haha

Comment

Originally posted by CytoGsxr View Post
                        We did just put the soupys lowering link on her bike and definitely impressed with the quality visually, as well as function,
                        Hmmm I have heard of 4 links from Soupy's snapping on a different forum, One directly after the installation mechanic rolled the bike off the lift.

Tmod

Comment

Hmmm I have heard of 4 links from Soupy's snapping on a different forum, One directly after the installation mechanic rolled the bike off the lift.

Tmod
                          I dont want to be hearing this kinda talk . Especially having a modified set on my Kat.

Would you care to go farther in detail as to what bikes the links were going on. And do you think it was just a matter of turning them too far out, putting all the stress on the rod ends?

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
                            I dont want to be hearing this kinda talk . Especially having a modified set on my Kat.

Would you care to go farther in detail as to what bikes the links were going on. And do you think it was just a matter of turning them too far out, putting all the stress on the rod ends?
                            They were on Sprint ST's and they were not adjusted outside recommended limits. I have always questioned the rod ends Soupy's uses and back when I made a set I used solid rod ends and not using a spherical rod end. Giving the price of the kits and what the price of a good spherical rod end cost and the profit that Soupy's has to make I doubt you are getting a top of the line rod end and in this instance it is located in a place that requires a top of the line rod end.

Tmod
                            Last edited by Tmod; 08-07-2012, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I do have to agree on the rod ends. They are not the best by any means. Its crazy how I never thought about that until now. Being one who has spent $400 on a single rod end, I do happen to know a good end when I see/feel one

Comment

Working...
                              X