Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How hard is it to remove the forks / triple tree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is it to remove the forks / triple tree?

Guys,
    I need to either get my steering bearings replaced professionally or do it myself. I hate to pay someone for something i could do. But, ive never got to complex with the mechanics of my bike. I read the fork rebuild page but it was basically more about rebuilding of forks and less about the removal of everything.

What skill level is needed to get everything apart/back together for a project like this? It is the only thing holding me up from getting the inspection completed. I've already got the parts but id have to get a few more things to complete it...So what do you guys think?
    Manny

its not all that bad.. first get the front end off the ground. take off the fairings and front fairing stay (the thing holding the gauges), then the top clamp comes off by removing the top nut and loosening the fork clamps, then there's a nut holding the the whole fork/ clamp assembly to the frame. its a C-spanner nut so you will need a c-spanner. then pull the forks out
    if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
      its not all that bad.. first get the front end off the ground. take off the fairings and front fairing stay (the thing holding the gauges), then the top clamp comes off by removing the top nut and loosening the fork clamps, then there's a nut holding the the whole fork/ clamp assembly to the frame. its a C-spanner nut so you will need a c-spanner. then pull the forks out
      Well, I would say I am a little more than a quarter way though. I took the fairings off, gas tank, pretty much everything. While I was at it I changed the spark plugs...does anyone know why there are wholes in the rubber tops? seems like water could get in the tops of the sparks??

Also, the bike has a c-spanner with the kit on the bike but the downfall is i need to get the right sizes because the major bolts are larger than my sockets...-Time to go to harbor freight.....

I had a question about the brakes and such.....Am i going to have to disconnect all that? It appears that I am going to have to.
      Manny

Comment

Originally posted by BaltimoreHokie View Post
        Well, I would say I am a little more than a quarter way though. I took the fairings off, gas tank, pretty much everything. While I was at it I changed the spark plugs...does anyone know why there are wholes in the rubber tops? seems like water could get in the tops of the sparks??

Also, the bike has a c-spanner with the kit on the bike but the downfall is i need to get the right sizes because the major bolts are larger than my sockets...-Time to go to harbor freight.....

I had a question about the brakes and such.....Am i going to have to disconnect all that? It appears that I am going to have to.

Personally, I would have just taken the calipers and wheel off. Then dropped the forks down. Then pulled the bars out. Take he top bolt out, then the spanner bolt (hammer and a screw driver/chisel takes it right off pretty easily). Lift the tank if you can't a hair and unplug the ignition switch ... then the triples come out.

The whole removing the fairings and stay not really needed.

There are holes in the boots at the top because it's not supposed to be water proof. Was does get in there, and drains out the drain holes at the bottom of the spark plug well. The boots help to prevent other stuff (dirt, bugs, ect...) from getting in there.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X