Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with front disk brake

I have traced the forum but I still haven't found what I'm locking for
    I have a 95 - 750 Kat
    Last sunday when I was calibrating the tires I decided to check front disks , for my surprise you can move it, its normal take the disk with fingers and move it front and back ???
    I've checked the rear and its fixed no move.
    Driving the bike breaks function very well and there is no sound.
    I have checked the repair manual and saw that break disks its floating but a gap that you can fell with hands its normal??
    Can I do someting to fix the rivets??

Thanks if someone can help me

Obs: Sorry for my horrible english

Doesn't sound right. I'd think the disk would be fastened solid to the hub. Perhaps post a video of what you're seeing. That would help.
    2004 GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by chrisx2 View Post
      Doesn't sound right. I'd think the disk would be fastened solid to the hub. Perhaps post a video of what you're seeing. That would help.
      They aren't. The outer disc the pads ride on is separate from the part that bolts to the hub. There are "rivets" joining the two by pressure, hence the term "floating" rotors. Some play is normal.

The picture below is a good example.....6 rivets separating the two parts. Notice the gap in between the hub and the disc also?

Comment

That definitely doesn't sound right.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Thank you very much for the picture now will be easier to explain

Yes, the play its in the outer disk that pads ride, the "iner" disk its fasted and solid
          So the play its normal I was afraid because the play its something like 2 or 3 centimeters
          What's the maximum play acceptable??
          There is a way to press the rivet's ??

Comment

2-3 CM is not normal. No way to repair it really so I'd be looking for a new disc.

Comment

I'm so dumb 2 or 3 centimenters its soo much its something like 1 cm in the maximum.

Comment

Even 1 CM is too much. Need to think in MM...as in one for two for acceptable play. Not even sure that is acceptable, but I'd probably ride it.

Comment

A video would best describe what it's doing. The kind of movement you are describing is not normal or safe IMO.

Comment

Thank you very much
                    I believe its better visit a mechanical to confirm what I have to do
                    Do you have an ideia about disk prices in USA? Just to compare because here in Brasil Suzuki parts its very very expensible

Comment

With a quick search it looks like OEM is around $370 each and ebay used start around $60 for both. Ebay also has some aftermarket ones from $170.

I'm not a big fan of ebay parts but some people are. Check around the forum to see if anyone is selling some. GL

Comment

Price isn't soo differente because if I buy in USA there will be freight and dutys and will spend 30 days until conclude the customs clearence, used its complicated.
                        A friend of mine works in a spare parts factorys I'll call him and check the possibility to repair this one if yes I'll post here for other people help

Thank you very much for Katrides assistance this forum its really amazing
                        Last edited by KATANA-BRASIL; 06-20-2012, 02:41 PM. Reason: complete information

Comment

I don't think I owned a katana where the discs didn't have play in them. I think you are off on your calculations as well. seriously, if you aren't hearing any noise or feeling any vibration, I wouldn't even worry about. and I especially wouldn't try to fix it, seeing as all you can really do is add a few tons of pressure to the rivets with a press in hopes of squishing them out a bit to take up the slack.....but can also lead to a lightly tweaked disc.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Yesterday I've spoken with my engenier friend a and he sad that a small play its really normal, he also sad about the possibility informed by Monjoe put pressure in the rivets but depending the pressure can warp the disc.
                            I made a test yesterday went until 190 Km / Hour and used just front brakes, it was perfect no noise, no vibration so I'll keep riding in this way
                            Next month a friend of mine will travel to USA so I'll ask to him bring some disk and some other stuff oil filter, sprockets just to have in stock
                            Thank you very much for the help my friends

Comment

Originally posted by KATANA-BRASIL View Post
                              I made a test yesterday went until 190 Km / Hour and used just front brakes, it was perfect no noise, no vibration so I'll keep riding in this way
                              You went 120mph on a Katana to "test" the brakes? Am I the only one that thinks that is crazy?
                              Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Working...
                              X