X

fork slop

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork slop

trying to sell my 98 kat, a guy said it was dangerous to ride because, when you twist the handle bars the forks and triple tree top have slop between them. Is it missing a bushing?

Picture maybe help but I'm having a hard time imagining the specific problem.

Slop in the steering stem (forks and triple trees move in unison relative to the frame) indicates at least looseness - simple tightening of the steering stem may fix that as long as the steering stem bearings are not damaged. It could also indicate steering stem bearing damage.

Slop where the forks move relative to the triple tree clamps is different - check for loose bolts at the clamps or damage.
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
    H. L. Mencken

Comment

Generally speaking it's a $35 fix aprox.

Replace the bearings if they are worn, which is most likely the cause.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

the handle bars are mounted on rubber bushings. some flex is normal.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
        X