No announcement yet.
X

I as well looked first on brakes but..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I as well looked first on brakes but..

i recently installed a set of EBC FA229HH and FA231HH fronts as well as the FA63 on the rear of my post. Question is the rears bite really well and yet the fronts dont. i only have like 50 miles on them and followed the instructions in the manual. which didnt say to scuff the rotors and just to take it easy for the first few hundred miles. ok... when then do they break in? i have a really good firm lever but aint stopping much at all. did i miss something or is it too early to be concerned? bear with me as im used to automotive brakes and this is the first time with a bike. still learning to ride so i've topped out at 50mph and went to stop and...nuttin. had to lay on the rears

That ain't right. Unless the rotors have worn with significant grooves the new pads should be grabbing pretty well after you get on them hard just a couple of times.

I think I'd be pulling those pads back out and looking for any little problems. Yes, taking a bit of 150 grit to the rotors can be a good thing to break any glazing. Hit them with some brake cleaner spray to get any oils off them. Take that sandpaper to the pins that hold the pads, too and then smear a little grease on those pins before re-installing them. If they've got any notches on them then they need to be replaced.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

When was the last time the brake fluid was changed?

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

flushed all the lines upon pad replacement front and rear. isnt the HH pads a high heat and need to be fully warmed up to operate properly?

Comment

I've got HH pads that work great. do what wild bill suggests and you should be fine.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

you must have air in the caliber , sometimes it real hard to get out / bleed then rebleed . does your lever go far down ?

Comment

naw, its got a real good solid lever, doesnt bleed off or give off any kind of mushyness, i have the lever set on #4 and pulls back maybe an inch or so and holds solid

Comment

You've got glazed or grooved rotors. Possibly both. Take some sandpaper to them.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Or a caliper piston bound up in the bore.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

It'd have to be more than one.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

i have noticed that since the rears are organic they bite really well and the rotor shows the affect of being used ie: the rotor has signs of being grabbed where as the fronts do not. thr fronts still have brown spots like its glazed over (look at your rotors on a car or truck). ill hit the rotors with some sandpaper and let ya'll know what happens.

Comment

UPDATE!! i scrubbed the rotors with the 150 grit paper and blasted w brake clean and seems to work much better now, thanks all with the suggestions and help.

Comment

you may need to bleed the system or at most rebuild the master cylinder. But in also thats the nature of the sintered HH pads. If the rotor is worn a little the brakes take forever to break in and brake power to be restored

The Kevlar or other organic pads will break in faster and provide better brake power.
                          The down side is they dont last as long
                          The up side is they dont eat up rotors like the HH pads do and they provide better brake feel.
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                          X