X

Pre forks on a Post Kat ?!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre forks on a Post Kat ?!?

Hey guys! last year i got rid of the lil' 250 and bought a 98 Kat as a "fix me up" project. I've been reading the forums for about 8 months now and i want to thank everyone and anyone already..because i've probably already stalked your post o.O

anyway.. i got a 98 kat 600 with 18k and it was in rough shape... i ended up just ripping every piece of bodywork off of it and throwing it all away...it was cracked bondo'd cracked again and zip tied...then painted 3 times over the stock paint.

So i needed new plastics and jumped on the cheap EBay deals you see while browsing...the ABS retro-sortafit stuff...and to be honest im actually pretty happy with the kit. One of the fairings came broken at the front directional corner..and they sent me a new one right away. not bad.

So anyway...the post title says it all, im trying to figure out why the front fender of this kit does'nt fit on my 98 kat. So i started doing some research and i think ive come to the conclusion i have Pre older front forks and even a Pre front rim.

things i know

- front rim is Gold, rear is silver
    - front fender does not fit properly
    - forks are spaced 1/8"-1/4" too far apart for the fender plate to bolt in !!
    - calipers need to be removed for rim to come off

So im looking for a little advise or guidance from an experienced member that may have already dealt with this situation.

and i know how you forum lifers love pics im also a member of some electric vehicle forums.

Before someone points it out.. yes my front rim is slightly dented

By skeetab5780 at 2012-03-17

No you don't. The front fender doesn't fit your forks because it's and 03-06 front fender. Your bike is a 98. The only way I could be 100% sure is to see the front caliper close up. I can't make them out real well. What I do know is that those are 100% 98-02 front rotors, but that doesn't look like a 98-02 front wheel. The 98+ rotors fit early wheels just fine. The 98+ wheels have straight spokes, the early wheels have curved spokes. And those don't look like straight spokes, but I can't be sure.

Comment

Yes your correct on the fender, i did read that yesterday.

Thanks for the info so far

what about the gap between the forks?
      my main issue is that when the wheel is bolted in, the fenders metal plate holes dont line up by about 6mm

Comment

If you would like 100% answers, more pics are needed... but.

What I can see is a pre kat or GS500 front rim. It's not a post rim for sure. 100%

The forks... not sure, I would need to see the top caps of them as they stick out of the triples by the bars, I would need to know if they have small 8mm drain screws on the bottom, and a better look at the brakes...

The 98-2002 model katana front end is narrower than the 03-06 models. Your 03+ fender won't fit that front end even if it is stock (the fender will be too wide).

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the Replies so far guys. got a little more work done on it today, but now im racing trying to take pictures before it gets too dark.

as requested here are some more pictures of my mess
          sorry they may be a little dark

By skeetab5780 at 2012-03-18

Ok heres one question no one has jumped on yet, and partly one of my main concerns.. the metal bracket that bolts between the forks doesnt line up, as you see here in the pictures the bolt holes are a ways off.

Is this safe?
          how do i fix that?

any help as always is much appreciated.

scott

Comment

Those are early calipers 100%. Which means you have pre 98 forks. As pre calipers don't fit on 98+ forks. So what you have there is early forks with a 98-02 top triple tree. The fork spacing is slightly wider on the 98+ forks. So if you have a 98-02 top tree, your spacing is wider. You must have a pre fender brace, which would be thinner. Get a 98-02 Front fender brace. Problem solved.

Comment

Awesome thanks for the quick reply!

i guess im shopping for a fender and a plate brace now

Comment

You could always get a 96-99 Bandit 600 front fender and use a Superbrace 3334 front fender brace. How do I know that works? Because I have that exact set up. Pre 98 forks, 98-02 top tree and steering stem, B6 fender and Superbrace 3334. But I also have a 98+ front wheel. Not that I think that will make a difference.

Comment

Working...
                X