Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How often do I need to change brake fluid? Are these pads good?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do I need to change brake fluid? Are these pads good?

How often do I need to change brake fluid? The manual says every 2 years and that seems rather absurd. What are common signs that the fluid needs to be changed? I have never changed mine and I have no idea if the previous owner did. (5+ years currently)

Also, what do you think about these for front pads? Keep in mind these will be on the old rotors (which are fine).

Thanks!
    Last edited by IndyGunner; 03-07-2012, 03:07 AM.

I change my brake fluid like once every 3-4 brake pad sets. ( front at least) the rear I have only changed once.
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

every 2 years is the absolute max if you ask me. once a year is good. If you have climate where you can ride all year twice a year is even better.

this is what 10 year old brake fluid looks like:

this is what happens inside the calipers with 10 year old brake fluid:
      starts to form gel like cloths that will prevent the piston from moving freely as it should, you will start to notice your brakes are notchy, if you want to apply a little more pressure you suddenly apply a whole lot. thats fun in rain or comming to a stop in a oily wet street light. ask me how I know..

See those yellow dots ? thats the gel cloths forming and I had lots of them in the system..

now you decide how often you want to change your brake fluid

I cant compare what I got with those EBC because I havent tried the EBC but I think they are good.

I got these from jimmy:

Last edited by mammut89; 03-07-2012, 05:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Defo every two years. Brake fluid absorbs water/moisture changing it's properties and 2 years is enough time IMO, despite it being in a "sealed" environment. Prevention is better than cure and I'd rather put in 30min at little cost.

Comment

Beginning of every season for me.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Every two years works well. It's really not that bad a job at all. Get a MityVac and the job gets really easy.

EBC Kevlars are pretty decent pads. I don't go for the Kevlar pads, just the plain organics. 'Course I'm not putting it on a track or riding like I'm on one so I don't get that much heat buildup.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

what model of the mityvac you got bill ? I was looking to buy the mv8000 but I dont want some cheap version that works 1 time. unless the cheap version is good enough
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I don't find the MityVac to be overly useful. I can pump the fluid through faster using the lever than I can pumping on the MityVac.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I do mine every year, two years is the limit. It's an incredibly easy job so long as you don't bleed dry. Probably takes me as long to change the oil as to bleed the brakes on both ends.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I dont have any of the tools (or knowledge) to do the job. How much do you think a shop would charge?

Also, as far as the brakes go, I would love to buy a set from jimmy, however I got a $100 gift card from dennis kirk and I dont need anything this season save for brakes. Could you guys take a look on their website and tell me what you think I should go for that they have in stock.

Also, what in the heck does sintered mean haha do I have them already?!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Comment

is your bike in muncie or ft waste ed?

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                        is your bike in muncie or ft waste ed?
                        Fort Waste bruddah, but Ill be in funcie save for a weekend here or there until I graduate in may. Id much rather pay you than a shop!!!! Plus maybe wed get to actually go ride together for the first time in years

I wouldnt be opposed to coming to visit you in bryan again too.
                        Last edited by IndyGunner; 03-07-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

hit me up when you're back for a while and we'll get it done...my weekends are a bit hectic lately, too...did you know Woodson's sold out? No more BMW, and it's called Ft.Wayne powersports or something like that...mostly Kawi now.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                            hit me up when you're back for a while and we'll get it done...my weekends are a bit hectic lately, too...did you know Woodson's sold out? No more BMW, and it's called Ft.Wayne powersports or something like that...mostly Kawi now.
                            I didnt notice that, however I havent gone back since their service went to hell and their prices seemed to double (about a year ago).

I've been going to house of honda off washington center. They did a good job on my dads bike and have taken good care of me.

Ill be sure to give you a call, aside from helping me out, It would be nice to hang out again

What fluid do you suggest I pick up and from where?

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                              what model of the mityvac you got bill ? I was looking to buy the mv8000 but I dont want some cheap version that works 1 time. unless the cheap version is good enough
                              I've got the MightyVac II. I got it at Wal Mart (I think) about 15 years ago and the only thing wrong with it is that the handle comes loose at the pivot when I bump it the wrong direction. Works fine under normal use, though so I haven't replaced it.

Mine is cheap plastic construction and has lasted 15 years. I'd imagine anything built with better materials would last even longer and might even be rebuildable. I doubt I'd have bought this one if I were running a business but for occasional home use it's just fine.
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X