Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

what can I do to tighten up my handling?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what can I do to tighten up my handling?

I have a 150 tire in the back and stock rear shock and fork on my 91 kat. when I take off ramps fast, the back end feels a little squirley.

Is my rear shock blown?

Do I need a wider tire?

thanks for the help

Buy a GSXR

Now to the serious side, Look at your shock and see if it has oil on or around it, If you see that it is a sure sign that the shock seals are blown.

The best suggestion from me would be to install a R6 shock in the rear, While that will lower the rear a bit (3/4-1") the handling improvement will be very noticeable. Install some linear springs in the forks and put a decent fluid in there using the proper weight fluid.

Tmod

Comment

Or just slap a 225 tire on there. Won't turn on the axle but it sure won't feel squirrely!
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Lol, your suspension is crap and likely your body positioning as well...you do not need a wider tire.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yea I didnt think the tire would make that much of a diff. Shock does NOT have oil around it AFAIK.

08+ r6 shock will fit right? again my bike is a 91 kat. Are you still selling those bushings? Will am 06 R6 shock fit?

I know with high speed cornering you are suppose to get about half your butt off the seat while trying to keep the bike "as up right as possible" while you lean keeping steady throttle while looking "through" the turn.

However, there are factors that play a roll... Cant have your wait too far forward

I am here to learn educate me proper body position
          Last edited by 1swifthawaiian7; 10-19-2011, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1swifthawaiian7 View Post
            ...high speed cornering you are suppose to get about half your butt off the seat while trying to keep the bike "as up right as possible" while you lean keeping steady throttle while looking "through" the turn...
            No. Hanging half off the bike is what you do when you're on the track, taking corners faster than the bike/tires would normally handle. At lower (sane) speeds you don't need to do that. Just look through the turn, stay relaxed and press on the bar to the inside of the turn. IOW, to go right you look right and press on the right-hand bar. Pressing on the right-hand bar will cause the bike to lean to the right. The difference in circumference between the center of the tires and the shoulder of the tread will cause the bike to track around to the right. Looking where you want to go is mostly a mental trick but it works.

Find a MSF Basic Riders Course in your area and get signed up. It will help a lot.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Push right to go right and look where you want to go

Listen to tmod, he knows his stuff.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                No. Hanging half off the bike is what you do when you're on the track, taking corners faster than the bike/tires would normally handle. At lower (sane) speeds you don't need to do that. Just look through the turn, stay relaxed and press on the bar to the inside of the turn. IOW, to go right you look right and press on the right-hand bar. Pressing on the right-hand bar will cause the bike to lean to the right. The difference in circumference between the center of the tires and the shoulder of the tread will cause the bike to track around to the right. Looking where you want to go is mostly a mental trick but it works.

Find a MSF Basic Riders Course in your area and get signed up. It will help a lot.
                Already did the MSF..... I am talking about long sweeping canyon turns.. The way I have been taking them is the way I have been taught in MSF.. Which is Squeeze your knees to your bike, initiate the lean by pressing the bars while looking through the turn. Always go from outside in and accelerate through the apex... I know all that.. I am past that,HIGH speed I want to go faster lean harder.. drag knee.. But I feel that I need a better bike.. Or perhaps a better rear shock Like Tmod said?

EDIT: Rode my buddies R6 I need a better bike lol
                Last edited by 1swifthawaiian7; 10-19-2011, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Try making a deliberate effort to relax your shoulders, keep your elbows bent and shift weight to the footpeg on the inside. You're not going to see a huge difference in how a SS bike performs in a sweeper. If anything, it's going to just feel less stable. Where you see the difference is in sharp turns; especially alternating ones without much straight-away in-between. Then the lighter weight, stiffer frame, shorter wheelbase, etc will really shine. For sweepers though, concentrate on staying loose.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Cool thanks for the tip

Comment

Originally posted by 1swifthawaiian7 View Post
                      Already did the MSF..... I am talking about long sweeping canyon turns.. The way I have been taking them is the way I have been taught in MSF.. Which is Squeeze your knees to your bike, initiate the lean by pressing the bars while looking through the turn. Always go from outside in and accelerate through the apex... I know all that.. I am past that,HIGH speed I want to go faster lean harder.. drag knee.. But I feel that I need a better bike.. Or perhaps a better rear shock Like Tmod said?

EDIT: Rode my buddies R6 I need a better bike lol
                      Buy some decent gear and go to a track with your Kat and drag a knee. If you accomplish that, you may be able to appreciate what you have and live longer. There's no reason to drag a knee on public roadways. Either you put yourself at risk or anyone coming your way. Perhaps you should heed Tmod's advice and go from there. Just my thoughts.

Peace
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Yea your right.

Comment

Working...
                        X