X

Front Fork Upgrades

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Fork Upgrades

I need to replace the front end on my 95 600. I've seen a lot on here about rear shocks, etc but not much on forks. I saw that 91-95 GSXR 750-1000 triples and forks would bolt right in. What else, if anything would fit? I'm not too picky about make (ie it can be from a Kawi or Yami).
    Also, would I need to put in different springs due to Kat weight? TIA, MK

please feel free to ask away. after you read this.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
      http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9615

please feel free to ask away. after you read this.
      Pimp!

Just remember the weight..
      After that.....
      I will say it is 20 times easier to change the whole front end
      rather than the forks only..

Comment

Weight is no issue! why do people keep telling this?
        If you decide to go for the Gixxer USD you should change the whole frontend, de Gixxer is wider needs a larger axle, other calipers, other rotors, a fender and a rim.
        Apart from this you"ll be in need off in height adjustable clipons, you"ll find yourself cutting the fairings and buying new brakelines.
        Direct swap? yes it is but it's a total swap...

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel
          Is it just me or is Kwebbel getting grumpy??

I mentioned wieght because the Kat weighs more than a GSXR.
          Sure the GSXR forks allow more adjustment, so you may be able to
          compinsate with preload..

Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
            Is it just me or is Kwebbel getting grumpy??

I mentioned wieght because the Kat weighs more than a GSXR.
            Sure the GSXR forks allow more adjustment, so you may be able to
            compinsate with preload..

Am I wrong?
            He's probably reacting the same way that I do when people say that (as a blanket statement). If you swap any of the oil cooled GSXR USD front ends from 91-95 there is less than a 15lb difference between bike weight (gsxr vs gsxf).

IT's not until you hit the SRAD gsxr that the weight gap increases and even then its no more different than if a large framed rider got on the same bike as a small framed rider. People always tend to give the impression that there is a huge weight difference between bikes and that you shouldn't bother with the gsxr front ends because they handle like crap or bottom out....this just isn't true

Will it be perfectly tuned straight out of the box to you and your riding style...likely not, but neither is your katana front end. No matter what you use it must ultimately be tuned to your personal weight and style of riding to get 100% from the suspension.

Comment

OK fair enough

Comment

Sorry if i gave you the impression off being grumpy B_P, but Waltari is right about my comment.
                The weightdifference is even less than 15 Lbs (just 6,3) to be exact 439lbs for the 95 750 gixxer versus 445,3lbs for the 94 600kat...

So for once and for all there is NO weight-issue!

Comment

If you decide to go for the Gixxer USD you should change the whole frontend, de Gixxer is wider needs a larger axle, other calipers, other rotors, a fender and a rim.
                  Apart from this you"ll be in need off in height adjustable clipons, you"ll find yourself cutting the fairings and buying new brakelines.
                  Direct swap? yes it is but it's a total swap...
                  Well as luck would have it there are no fairings. One side was rashed beyond repair and the others were sold before I got the bike. The bike right now has no gas tank, seat, or fairings. The front wheel is bent and the forks are bent. The triple looks good but won't know for sure unitl I get it apart. The brake rotors probably need to be replaced. So basically I am looking a at a total front end replacement anyway.

Comment

Sorry if i gave you the impression off being grumpy B_P, but Waltari is right about my comment.
                    The weightdifference is even less than 15 Lbs (just 6,3) to be exact 439lbs for the 95 750 gixxer versus 445,3lbs for the 94 600kat...

So for once and for all there is NO weight-issue!
                    Sooooo
                    your saying that there isn't a weight issue?
                    Can you be a little clearer?

Comment

Yup I can.....

:smt097

Comment

So how would I solve the weight-difference issue .

I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

mkkat if you have to replace it all any way go for the newer stuff

Comment

So is the weight difference going to be a problem?

OK, I do have to ask though. Is there any improvement to be gained other than "cool mod factor" by making a switch to a different fork instead of just rebuilding stock forks with quality springs and emulators? And if so is that difference enough to justify the cost and time and large enough that anyone other than a professional rider would be able to tell?
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

There is a really well-noticeable improvement in riding and handling Jim.
                              For instance you can dial in the suspension setup too a much higher level than you can with the low-tec stockfork giving a much more stable feeling and feedback while riding, and you're reducing the unsprung weight.
                              I don't know the difference between a rebuilt fork updated with the whole sh'bang and a nice USD, but apart from the gain in handling I really like the "looks-bonus" you"ll get by swapping in an USD and (it counts too me) the possibility to change preload. (duopassenger)

Just realized....
                              There is no weight-issue and if so you can easily equalize it by changing preload.

Comment

Working...
                              X