Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Front brakes dragging after replacing pads?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brakes dragging after replacing pads?

They're dragging pretty badly, the wheel spins for maybe a half-turn when lifted in the air and spun by hand. It doesn't bind on any specific part of the rotor, so it's not bent. Where should I start diagnosing this?

Pull the pad pins, sand down any rust spots and lube. I have to do mine every winter otherwise I get the exact same thing. My pins get grooved easily too.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Your new pads will be riding in a different area of the pins that may have dirt/rust caked on... this could couse the pads to hang...
      "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

clean or replace the pins..... but first i have a question.... when you squeeze the brake, does it hang then if you come back to it lets say 15/20(or longer) minutes later, does it spin freely?
        "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
        2004 marauder 800

Comment

Hmm, I don't know. I've already removed the calipers from the bike (trying to diagnose the stickyness), so I'll try that after cleaning and lubing the pins on both sides.

Comment

if it is doing that, possible collapsed brake line.

2006 turboed kat
            2004 marauder 800

Comment

I just replaced the brake lines with SS ones though. I cleaned and lubed the pins and while it's a little better, they still drag. I can maybe get 1 full revolution out of it now.

Comment

got a pic of the pins?

2006 turboed kat
                2004 marauder 800

Comment

Working...
                X