X

filling fork seals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filling fork seals

So im pretty sure my forks are slightly bent... before last summer I had the seals replaced. Got thro the season with the oil slowly leaking out. Kinda short on money so im thinking about just trying to fill them to get bye for awhile but im not really sure how to fill them.

Originally posted by chevyjones25 View Post
    So im pretty sure my forks are slightly bent... before last summer I had the seals replaced. Got thro the season with the oil slowly leaking out. Kinda short on money so im thinking about just trying to fill them to get bye for awhile but im not really sure how to fill them.

I'm not going to lecture you on how unsafe riding with bent or leaking forks can be, but I'll mention... it is.

That said, you can add fluid by removing the top cap at the tripple. Make sure you have all weight off the forks, and be aware there is a little pressure from the spring under neath.

Also be aware your not going to know how much oil to add properly without some kind of measuring... and that can also cause problems or safety issues.

Good luck.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

There r some great how-to's on here. Someone else may be able to surer link u, or use the search function. May just have been an issue with the seal installation. I did mine. One leaked after and one didn't. You may have dings in the metal where the seal travels. See if u can find that post for" rebuilding Kat forks". Good luck and welcome.

Comment

if your going this route, you'd better measure in mm from the top vs volume (cc's)

Comment

be sure not to add too much oil.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Thanks ill try it and test it out see if I can get away with it

Comment

Originally posted by joedan View Post
              if your going this route, you'd better measure in mm from the top vs volume (cc's)
              Keep in mind if you do this with the forks on the bike the measurement will be off because of the angle of the forks.. Tmod might have some info on measurements with the forks on the bike.
              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Seems like it might work to measure from the top of the fork to the highest level of the oil on the good fork and fill the other to that same measurement.

Comment

And when you remove the cap run the fork thru its entire stroke. If it goes thru its entire stroke smoothly, you probably don't have a "bent" tube.

Comment

Originally posted by joedan View Post
                    A+

Please don't over fill it!
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                    Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                    R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                    1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                    RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                    3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                    Black painted seat and rear trim,
                    Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.