X

Bottoming out problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottoming out problem

So i just did the (07) r6 shock mod and for some reason my rear fender only sits alittle under 2 inchs from my tire. Going straight its fun but then i get into the twisties it starts to bottom out and rub. The Po did weld a 1" extension onto the links and i dont have the preload all the way.

Right now with my extended swingarm i have the shock as hard as it can go( feels like a hardtail) so im wondering if fulling applying the preload and getting stock links will raise the bike at all and stop my bottoming out problem

Also is it possible to put other links in, A local dealer has some flat ones but i noticed the kat links are curved
    Last edited by jcobb; 05-11-2011, 11:33 PM.
    Find a bike with a stock motor that has miles than mine and ill personally send you a certificate declaring your awesomness

Originally posted by jcobb View Post
    So i just did the (07) r6 shock mod and for some reason my rear fender only sits alittle under 2 inchs from my tire. Going straight its fun but then i get into the twisties it starts to bottom out and rub. The Po did weld a 1" extension onto the links and i dont have the preload all the way.

Right now with my extended swingarm i have the shock as hard as it can go( feels like a hardtail) so im wondering if fulling applying the preload and getting stock links will raise the bike at all and stop my bottoming out problem

Also is it possible to put other links in, A local dealer has some flat ones but i noticed the kat links are curved

Wow... epic lowering fail by the PO...

Put stock sized links on it, and the R6 shock won't need to be set at the top preload to work fine, and stop you from bottoming out on the fender.

The problem isn't the preload on the shock... the problem is those "lowering links" change the wheel travel range for the swingarm much much closer to the undertail and fender. Imagin a V travel angle for the swingarm pivot... by changing the links, you do not change the size of the V travel angles, you just move them so that the fender is now in that travel, so the tire will hit.

If you want to keep the bike lowered similiar to what it is now, send that R6 shock to Tmod and ask for him to add some spacers in it, that will lower the bike and decrease that V travel range so that the shock will bottom out before it hits your fender, like it's supposed to happen.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

At this point i kinda of want to raise it, My rear sits at 32" without me on it so its basically like sitting in a lawn chair.

I just want it to stop rubbing the fender so i dont have to worry about my tire, Im going to get some stock links friday.

Ill try to take some pictures tomorrow of the rig the Po did, i noticed it today when swapping the shock and it kind of blew my mind
      Find a bike with a stock motor that has miles than mine and ill personally send you a certificate declaring your awesomness

Comment

Working...
      X