X

Bent fork tube

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent fork tube

Just picked up a 2005 750F with some damage from the first owner. Just learned that right fork inner tube is bent and am weighing options for fixing.
    New oem tube
    Used fork rebuilt
    Aftermarket tube
    Send to framestraight.com

Any advise?

I'm also a military truck owner and forum member for specific truck, members and info is priceless. I hope this forum is as great.

Gonna move part of this to "brakes and suspension"

Comment

Gonna move part of this to "brakes and suspension"

Honesty?
      I don't know what framestraight.com charges, but a lot of guys here would look at this as a chance to do a GSXR front end swap..

100 to 275?
      I'd look at eBay for Kat forks or Upgrade..
      Last edited by Black_peter; 04-13-2011, 08:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Welcome!

Any hit hard enough to bend a fork tube has probably caused more damage than you can see. Unless you know for sure that the other fork is good you might want to replace the whole front end. Biggest problem is going to be finding one that isn't trashed.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The hit was hard but slow and sharp on the one fork side. The left side is fine, no bend and no detectable loss of dampening.

Check all frame points and no signs of stress.

Comment

It's your bike. Just remember that the forks are connected at the axle, brace and both triple-tree clamps.

A friend of mine worked at a body shop with a straightening jig. He told me one time that a hit on the front corner usually distorts the rear end on the opposite side. Weird but there you are...

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I'm sure you could pickup a nice set of used forks off someone on the site or E-bay much cheaper the having them straightend. I've got a couple sets of good used 600/750 pre inner tubes I'd be happy to send you for a few buck more then the shipping, but I'm almost certain they are different then the post forks.
              Richard
              96 Suzuki GSX750F
              89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
              05 Yamaha WR450F
              05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Inner tubes? No their not. Now the fork bottoms, those are different. As far as inner tubes, I've used pre 98 tubes with 98+ bottoms more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  It's your bike. Just remember that the forks are connected at the axle, brace and both triple-tree clamps.

A friend of mine worked at a body shop with a straightening jig. He told me one time that a hit on the front corner usually distorts the rear end on the opposite side. Weird but there you are...
                  I have repaired a lot of vehicles that had damage to the rear when the accedant was in front. inercia's a bit$h. Watch a wreck video in slow mo. you will see the energy of the impact ripple from front to rear and never leave a visible effect afterwards. +1 Wild Bill
                  Last edited by flash007; 04-14-2011, 04:56 AM.
                  "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                  1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                  2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

I goofed this up... Sorry ADK..

Comment

Arsenic,

I had a feeling that the inners might transfer on pre and post. How about 600 v 750. The model #s are different but so is the pre and post. If this is the case then I would most definitely go for a member deal on a fork laying around doing nothing. Please let me know your experience.

Comment

600 and 750 use different forks from different makers.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

When I said the impact was slow, I mean real slow, like dropped off a loading dock slow.

ep87, I would take you up on an offer if the tube would fit. It looks like only 750s fit 750s though, pre and post according to arsenic.

Comment

Originally posted by ADKKAT View Post
                            When I said the impact was slow, I mean real slow, like dropped off a loading dock slow....
                            Like the car one of my Dad's clients had delivered as new from the dealer. The front end went off the side of the delivery truck. The whole frame was FUBAR'd to the point that a body shop couldn't straighten it.

Your bike, your decision but if it were me, I'd plan on picking up a complete front end and swapping both tubes.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                              Your bike, your decision but if it were me, I'd plan on picking up a complete front end and swapping both tubes.
                              +1
                              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                              X