X

lowering info

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowering info

i recently finished my 98 after a few yrs (i joined the army and just got back from deployment) i got on it hard when i got back and wound up melting 2 pistons and basically blowing my engine up. it had like 23k on it so i wasnt that surprised. put a new motor in it and too many mods to list. neway dropped it 4" in the back (im 5 4" so i needed it) i really dont know how low to drop my front forks. im at 1" right now but its not handling like it did b4 the drop. im going to a shop tomorrow to fix it but i wanted to know what is the optimum fork drop for a 4" drop in the rear. also i used protek lowering links if it makes a diff. thanks for ne feedback

Its very impressive that you managed to blow the engine up after only 23k miles...

As for the lowering, I doubt any amount of drop in the front will let you retain stock or anywhere near stock geometry with the back being practically on the ground.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by cmac250 View Post
      im at 1" right now but its not handling like it did b4 the drop.
      it wont ever handle the same when you lower it especially with such a big drop in the rear, from what i always heard was get a level out and sit it on the seat and lower the front til the level shows its even with your rear. i never had to drop my forks down. oh and your motor shouldn't have blown that quickly, these motors last well into the 50k+ range with proper maintenance.
      Last edited by mreedohio; 03-26-2011, 02:55 AM.
      Chrome Project Part 1
      http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Originally posted by mreedohio View Post
        these motors last well into the 50k+ range with proper maintenance.
        More like 150K

Comment

Originally posted by cmac250 View Post
          i recently finished my 98 after a few yrs (i joined the army and just got back from deployment) i got on it hard when i got back and wound up melting 2 pistons and basically blowing my engine up. it had like 23k on it so i wasnt that surprised. put a new motor in it and too many mods to list. neway dropped it 4" in the back (im 5 4" so i needed it) i really dont know how low to drop my front forks. im at 1" right now but its not handling like it did b4 the drop. im going to a shop tomorrow to fix it but i wanted to know what is the optimum fork drop for a 4" drop in the rear. also i used protek lowering links if it makes a diff. thanks for ne feedback
          as a note, if you actually try drop the front correctly to compensate for the 4" rear drop, you will end up smashing your lower cowl against the ground on bumps... yer forks have about 5" travel max, a corrective drop on the front will exceed the design limits.

the approximate "actual" fork drop(for the Katanas rake) is 7/8" to match each a 2" rear drop.

you cant compensate for the 4" rear correctly.. sorry.

Change it to a 2" rear drop, put the front forks 7/8" actual drop to even it out.

the bike may just be too tall for you... but we ride with Rican Katgrl... shes got a 2" drop on hers and shes barely over 5'.
          Last edited by JayBell; 03-26-2011, 02:38 PM.

See My Garage for mods...
          T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
          Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Just a note here but when you lower a bike with links you still retain the same suspension travel but you lose the clearance between the tire and inner fender, Measure how much clearance you have between the tire and fender and from that subtract about 5.5" if you end up with a negative number then you might have clearance problems and the tire hitting the inner fender while going down the road is not a good thing.

Tmod

Comment

Working...
            X