X

bend out swingarm???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bend out swingarm???

i was on craigslist today and found this katana on their http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2212867552.html he said what he did to fit the 180 tire on their was stick a car jack between the swingarm and bend it out ??????i kow this i possible but i know this is to good to be true what would be the nasty side effects of doing this?

If you don't weld in inserts to actually widen it and just bend it wider, I can't see that being good. On a side note, $3000 for a 1995 tuna 600, good luck with that one It has a Yohi full exhaust though, that brings the value up to at least $500.

Comment

I would need more specifics on where all it was bent to comment on that arm specifically.

It it was only by spreading the forks at the rear with a jack, and there wasn't additional attention paid to the forks at the cross brace where the tire is at it's widest point.... I doubt it has the proper clearance to properly and safely run that wide a tire.

On the pre, the wide at that point IS 180... the same as the width of the tire. Move the rear section out 1" more is only going to give you a couple of mm clearance at the point the tire is widest. With a 600 arm I was and have done this for a 4.5" rim with a 170 tire max as the tire size. It worked.

Recomened closest clearance for the tire/swingarm is 12.5mm. If the tire is closer than that, you really should widen the arm, or use a smaller tire.

If there were multiple points it was bent to give the tire clearance and also make the rear arms the correct width needed for the rim... yes, it's possible.

The bends would need to be done just right, and not exceed too much of a radial curvature to prevent structrual weakness.

One thing to check for is if one side of the flat on the rectangular tubed arm is seriously deformed or collapsed.

Krey

Originally posted by flipflopkat View Post
      i was on craigslist today and found this katana on their http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2212867552.html he said what he did to fit the 180 tire on their was stick a car jack between the swingarm and bend it out ??????i kow this i possible but i know this is to good to be true what would be the nasty side effects of doing this?
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        If you don't weld in inserts to actually widen it and just bend it wider, I can't see that being good. On a side note, $3000 for a 1995 tuna 600, good luck with that one It has a Yohi full exhaust though, that brings the value up to at least $500.

It's funny cuz it's true.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

That's a failure looking for a place ... that's a "rig" in my book..
          http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
          http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
          "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
          "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Im thinking this ...

Comment

is that in your possession charlie....
              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

look at the little motor, it's so cute

Comment

look at the little motor, it's so BEAST
                  Fixed that for you.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Is that what you ninjer has Snottyface?

Comment

Here is my RZ full faired ....heres my back burner progect 1977/7
                      Attached Files

Comment

Is that what you ninjer has Snottyface?
                        Nah I wish, the RM is fast as pizz.

Comment

the guy actually sold it for $3000 -_-

Comment

OP, Christ almighty, I can't believe he got 3K for that. I almost feel sorry for the squid that bought it.

H-2 Charlie. So much win in all 3 pics!
                            "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Working...
                            X