X

stupid question - weeping brake fluid

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid question - weeping brake fluid

Hi, long time lurker but new poster. I ride a 95 kat 600 that i bought last year. I stored it for the winter in my attached garage, unheated but temperature was above freezing.
    Started preping for some work on the bike this weekend, and I noticed a small amount of brake fluid had weeped out around the top cover on the front master brake cylinder. Tightened down the screws, but they really didnt seem to be loose or anything.
    How much do I need to worry about this? Is there a chance that the fluid could have soaked up some moisture or air, or is this weeping 'normal'? Should I change the fluid, bleed it or just put it out of my mind and go for a ride?
    Thanks!

brake fluid will draw moisture ,and usually when it is black it is because it has moisture

that being said spend a couple bucks and get a new lid gasket so it doesnt leak on your paint
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

IMNSHO (in my not so humble opinion) brake fluid should be changed twice a year.
      (if you ride years round) start of the season if you only ride spring/summer.
      Top of the line brake fluid is about the same price as a gallon of gas.
      Pretty cheap for 4 -6 months use..

Comment

I'm not quite as passionate about maintenance as Black Peter but since brake fluid is hygroscopic if you see brake fluid seeping out then water could definitely get back in. Drain / flush the brake fluid and replace the cap gasket.

Comment

+1 on changing the brake fluid

You might consider replacing the brake lines as well, if it is the original lines I believe they are due for replacement/upgrade.
          2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
            I'm not quite as passionate about maintenance as Black Peter
            1 pint Castrol LMA =$4
            Flushing fluid =2 hours (tops)
            Stopping the bike with two fingers = Priceless.

Originally posted by yngveny View Post

You might consider replacing the brake lines as well, if it is the original lines I believe they are due for replacement/upgrade.
            Yup 5 years... So you're 15 years over due

Comment

Working...
            X