X

Rear brake leak.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake leak.

I have searched the forums and have only been able to find one thread in which the OP had the same or what sounds like the same problem. That thread is here ~>http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110631
    Now, though his problem sounds to be the same as mine, my brake pressure will NOT come back after pumping; pumping them will make brake fluid leak out. Here are a couple pictures of where the leak seems to be. Top view:

The brakes were completely fine for well over 1K miles since I bought it a month ago, and now this is happening. Anyone heard of this or have any troubleshooting tips? Plenty of tools to work with, just cannot seem to find a fix for this anywhere on the web (I looked for about an hour while on my lunch break today.) Thanks for your time! :bunny2

where are your brake pads?

you need to rebuild the caliper, buy new orings and seals.
    the first pic looks like you have no pads left
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Finally got some time to take the rear end off and discovered at least one issue. Rear brake pads were completely gone. I'll take a picture of them later but after taking them out, I am certain that they had to go. As far as I can tell, the master cylinder is fine and pumping as it should. Going to order some nice new pads for the front and rear and hope that it solves the issue

Comment

It won't solve the issue, but it may reduce your symptoms temporarily.

You need to redo the seals on the caliper. A rebuild kit includes the parts you need, it isn't very expensive, and it's not that hard to do.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

yeah but I'm in the same boat. I think for the same reason.
          My rears were so thin the pad peeled away like paint from the steel backer.
          Shameful for me I know but I was duped by the view you gets from the outside.
          In our cases I think what happened is the piston extended so far out that the seals are damaged. I cleaned and reassembled the unit but no love.
          We need new seals. Luckily for you the rear is a great one to learn on.
          Only two pistons, 4 seals total. Half of one front
          Here is my rebuild thread:
          Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
          swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
          Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Comment

Working...
          X