X

humming noise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humming noise

i have a 95 suzuki katana 600 and theirs a humming or whining noise but im not sure where its coming from its no the chain its brand new and lined up correctly not sure what else it could be.any ideas?

Is the noise the chain going across the chain guard that rests on top of the swing arm?
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Turbo spooling up?
      "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

the most logical place to look for a humming noise would definitely be the chain. Could you have installed it too tight? I had a 1991 Katana and rebuilt the rear brake calipers because they were dragging a little. The real problem was the cheap chain I purchased on Ebay (no name brand). I went down to my local cycle store and got a name brand chain - no more humming...
        Good Luck.

Comment

Chain too tight...
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Chain too tight or possible wheel bearing dried up (Needs grease) You should tighten you chain with your Katana on its kickstand (not center stand) and leave 1"-1.5" slack. Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by bgribble79 View Post
              Chain too tight or possible wheel bearing dried up (Needs grease) You should tighten you chain with your Katana on its kickstand (not center stand) and leave 1"-1.5" slack. Hope this helps!
              Why side stand not center?
              95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
              Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
              ---
              I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Originally posted by niqbales View Post
                Why side stand not center?

Because the chain tightens as a result of the suspension action when you sit on the bike, that 1 to 1.5 represents your weight plus a little bit. Better to be a little loose than a little tight.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  Because the chain tightens as a result of the suspension action when you sit on the bike, that 1 to 1.5 represents your weight plus a little bit. Better to be a little loose than a little tight.
                  Got it... Knew it had to do with suspension. So tightening it on the rear stand results in a tighter chain once riding... I thought it was the other way around...

EDIT: Just looked at a pic and using a rear stand is different from center stand in that the shock would be compressed some... so I was right in my rear stand assumption
                  Last edited by niqbales; 01-03-2011, 06:35 PM.
                  Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                  ---

Comment

Originally posted by niqbales View Post
                    Got it... Knew it had to do with suspension. So tightening it on the rear stand results in a tighter chain once riding... I thought it was the other way around...

EDIT: Just looked at a pic and using a rear stand is different from center stand in that the shock would be compressed some... so I was right in my rear stand assumption
                    Yes.

With a swingarm stand or spool stand the weight is still bearing down on the swinger, causing the spring to compress a bit and the chain to tighten.

With a center stand, the rear wheel is completely off the ground with nothing pushing on the swinger, so it falls slack.

Comment

ok well theirs still some slack in the chain now so im goin to re adjust it and see if the noise goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by flipflopkat View Post
                        ok well theirs still some slack in the chain now so im goin to re adjust it and see if the noise goes away.
                        You want between 1"-1.5" slack at rest. Also make sure it's aligned properly, and I don't mean by the useless hash marks on the swinger...

Comment

ok well how do you align it the correct way?the hash marks are the only thing that i have to go by whats the correct way?

Comment

Originally posted by flipflopkat View Post
                            ok well how do you align it the correct way?the hash marks are the only thing that i have to go by whats the correct way?
                            There are a few methods.

I just put mine on the rear stand, and roll the wheel by hand making adjustments until the chain doesn't bind or pop. The sprocket will tell you if it's misaligned after a few miles.

Comment

I used to eyeball it and I tried one of those stupid "aligners" that clamp to the sprocket and have a bar... might as well eyeball it if you're gonna get that. I measure the center of the axle to the end of the swingarm tube(where the adjusters start). And spin the tire and look at it, does it look like the rear sprocket is twisted? Once I get it lined up I adjust the tensioners equal turns to keep it straight.

Added note: When eye balling it use the chains relation to the sprocket as your guide... The chain should be center of the sprocket, so spin the wheel and chain should be in the center of the sprocket. I do this after measurement. I find measuring to be quicker but this is some assurance.
                              Last edited by niqbales; 01-05-2011, 04:41 PM.
                              ---

Comment

Working...
                              X