Center stand parts & installation?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center stand parts & installation?

1989 Katana 600 (K model)

I got a center stand and mounting parts from another KR member about a month ago and went to install it on the bike today. After trying to figure it out and searching around, I'm thinking I may not have the right parts and it's clear I don't know quite how it fits together...

Here's what I have:

That's one spacer and one long bolt like the fiche shows. I asked the seller to verify that what he was sending matched the fiche (which just shows the one bolt and the one spacer) and he did (plus a bolt/nut) so I don't totally blame him, but now it seems the bike actually needs a spacer on both sides and that the shorter of the two bolts is too short. I need two bolts and two spacers right?

I can handle getting the right parts but I cannot for the life of me figure out how the bent piece with the two holes in it fits into the equation. I tried putting it how the fiche seems to indicate, but what does the smaller end of it connect to???

Also, it looks like I have to remove my exhaust (some aftermarket 4-into-1) to get the right side centerstand bolt in there; it will not fit past the pipe. This should be okay since I have to strip/repaint my pipes over winter any way; they are a peeling rusty mess.

Thanks for reading; I appreciate the help!

Those springs are stretched. Buy new ones. That hook part goes on the pin that is mounted on your frame (large hole on hook goes on frame pin) and the springs hook on to the end of the hook then onto the stands pin. The bushing, I don't remember, I think it goes between the eyelets that attach to the frame. You have all of the right parts. I don't remember two bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
      Those springs are stretched. Buy new ones. That hook part goes on the pin that is mounted on your frame (large hole on hook goes on frame pin) and the springs hook on to the end of the hook then onto the stands pin. The bushing, I don't remember, I think it goes between the eyelets that attach to the frame. You have all of the right parts. I don't remember two bolts.
      Ok thanks I see how the hook goes now; the fiche makes it look like the bolt goes through it. This is how it should be right?

Here's the bushing in one side; that's where it goes right? I can't imagine there isn't one on the other side with how loose it would be with just the bolt....?

It doesn't go here...

And one more pic with the stand held up to the brackets. The bushing is on the right side (left side of the pic). The seller sent two nuts, but there are these nuts welded to the brackets. One bolt is short enough that it doesn't go all the way through; the other has a cotter pin/safety wire hole in it so I doubt I have to double up the nuts to lock them?

Comment

It's been a while, but you got the idea.
        scratch the between the bolts with the spacer. Two bolts and you have the spacer in the right place. Bolts just tighten into the existing nuts welded to the frame. Looks like you need another spacer and correct bolt length. Who ever you bought this from didn't give you everything. There is a trick to attaching the springs that makes installation easier. When I installed mine, it was out of sight and out of mind.
        Last edited by Kfreak; 01-01-2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I hope this case of necroposting here isn't a cardinal sin... I backburnered this center stand project and want to pick up where I left off.

Does anyone know if the Pre Katana 750 center stand springs will work for the Pre Katana 600 center stand? The Pre Katana 600 microfiches I can find show a stand but no springs (except the kickstand ones, which are too long). The 750 center stand is different from the 600 center stand... but the geometry might actually be very similar and the 750 microfiches DO have the spring part.

If the 750's center stand springs are right, then I can just order the part from BikeBandit or whatever.

Thanks for any advice!

I posted here in the Parts Wanted section looking for the springs, too http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2322630
          Last edited by foxox; 05-08-2014, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by foxox View Post
            I hope this case of necroposting here isn't a cardinal sin... I backburnered this center stand project and want to pick up where I left off.

Does anyone know if the Pre Katana 750 center stand springs will work for the Pre Katana 600 center stand? The Pre Katana 600 microfiches I can find show a stand but no springs (except the kickstand ones, which are too long). The 750 center stand is different from the 600 center stand... but the geometry might actually be very similar and the 750 microfiches DO have the spring part.

If the 750's center stand springs are right, then I can just order the part from BikeBandit or whatever.

Thanks for any advice!

I posted here in the Parts Wanted section looking for the springs, too http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2322630

The centerstand parts are only listed for the 750s, as it was an option for the 600s. The parts are exactly the same between both CC for the pre kats. So use the 750 fiche to order the parts you need, but the same year model 600 you have.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
            X