No announcement yet.
X

Rear brakes lock up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, all you guys who don't like the rear brake: According to the MSF, Kieth Code, and Marco Lucchinelli the front brake provides about 70% of your stopping power. That's because of the weight transfer as you start to slow down. What you're forgetting about is that 70% leaves about 30% left. That's coming from your rear brakes but ONLY if you actually take the time to learn how to use them. You should be able to stop under full braking power with the rear wheel almost (but not quite) locking up. If you get a buddy to time your stops for you from a constant speed (try about 20mph) you'll see the difference. Start applying the rear brake and then bring in the front brake about 1/8 second later. Apply both as hard as you can without locking up the wheel. No go hit a parking lot and practice!
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
      OK, all you guys who don't like the rear brake: According to the MSF, Kieth Code, and Marco Lucchinelli the front brake provides about 70% of your stopping power. That's because of the weight transfer as you start to slow down. What you're forgetting about is that 70% leaves about 30% left. That's coming from your rear brakes but ONLY if you actually take the time to learn how to use them. You should be able to stop under full braking power with the rear wheel almost (but not quite) locking up. If you get a buddy to time your stops for you from a constant speed (try about 20mph) you'll see the difference. Start applying the rear brake and then bring in the front brake about 1/8 second later. Apply both as hard as you can without locking up the wheel. No go hit a parking lot and practice!
      What he said!
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
      Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
      R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
      1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
      RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
      3BBB turn signal mirrors,
      Black painted seat and rear trim,
      Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

+ 1 on a master cylinder issue

If I have my terms correct, when the compensating port gets plugged the brake fluid can get hot and build pressure without being able to vent and lock itself.

Also check rear brake lever adjustment and linkage to make sure it is releasing master cylinder fully.

If my rear brake was locking up, the bike would be parked until I knew it was solved. Hope you have good gear.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
          ...If my rear brake was locking up, the bike would be parked until I knew it was solved. Hope you have good gear.
          +1
          Take both cylinders apart, blow them out with brake cleaner and compressed air (like you'd clean the carbs, just make sure you flush all the brake cleaner back out before re-installing the system), freshen up the cylinder walls and take a good, hard look at the seals. The engine gets you home but the brakes keep you alive. Don't play games with this.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
          X