Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Should I be concerned about my front fork?..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be concerned about my front fork?..

Hi guys! Today I crashed my Katana into the rear left fairing of the car leaving a huge dent in his old Lexus. Can't say it was my fault, cuz this guy just decided to turn in front of me. The bike has lost its mirror, and other that, there are only few scratches on the fairing and the headlight - no major damages as far as I could notice. I'm not sure if the insurance is gonna total the bike. They haven't showed up to check it yet. Do you think with minor cosmetic damages it is still possible that they'll do it? If not, should I inspect my front fork more thoroughly?.. Thanks.

if you have collision coverage on your bike, yes, check your triple trees and your forks to make sure they are not bent. It would really take a precision instrument to decide if they are out of spec, but if you flew into the back of a car they probably are out of spec a little even if it is still ride-able. Bring this to the adjuster's attention when he appears. also check the fairing mounts and brackets make sure they are not bent or screw holes ripped out.
    Cover me, I'm Changing Lanes!

"Fear not death, for the sooner we die the longer we shall be immortal."

Comment

Thanx I did check the fairing mounts. One of the screws is broken and is stuck in the hole. I was driving about 20 mph or so when it happened - not that much of a speed, I guess. I really don't want them to total my bike cuz I know they're not gonna give me much for it, but replacing forks is probably gonna cost me a fortune...

Comment

The really only way to inspect the forks is to remove them from the bike, disassemble them and use a straight edge on the forks or just roll the stanchions on an absolutley flat surface to see if they are out of square.

If you were to only remove the forks from the triple, you will only be able to tell if the forks bent at the triple and not where the forks enter into the lower tube.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Considering the fact that I hit the rear left side of the trunk at about 10-20 mph or even less, do you think there is still a chance that the fork might be slightly bent?.. It seemed that most of the impact went onto the headlight and front part of the fairing. None of the plastics had cracked.

Comment

Was this a T-bone kind of hit or a ricochet type of hit?
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Was there a police report filed? If the report states that it was the car driver's fault then I wouldn't do anything. It's the responsibility of your insurance company to make it right, unless the Lexus owner wants to make it 'right" by paying you outright for all the damages. It shouldn't have to be your problem.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Yes, you should be worried.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

It was a T-bone kind of hit at approximately 10-20 mph

Yes, the report was filed. The cop said that theoretically it was my fault cuz I hit him from behind, but he didn't see what exactly happened to make any judgments. Plus, Florida is a no-fault state which means that practically it's nobody's fault. Go figure, right?..
                  Last edited by russian_dude; 08-12-2010, 01:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I agree, have the top tubes checked for straightness. It may still be ride-able but you may go through slides and seals like crazy and it will never be right. And if it's covered under his insurance why screw around with it?
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                    Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                    R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                    1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                    RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                    3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                    Black painted seat and rear trim,
                    Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Working...