X

Brake Fade and Rear Shock Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Fade and Rear Shock Question

I did a dummy move the other day, I left my disk lock on and decided to drive away. Outcome wasn't fun :P Ever since then my front lever has some initial play when braking. Rotor's not visibly warped or damaged, nor is the caliper or pads, but when I hit the brakes I have to pull it a bit further then pre bone-head move. If I let off the brakes a little bit, then pull back in (pump) 2 or 3 times full feeling comes back. (Braking performance isn't affected, just have to pull in a little more then before.) Anyone know what could possibly be causing this feel in the lever?

Also, random, but will an 03 GSXR rear shock fit on a pre (97)? I am getting one for free from my friend who just heavily upgraded his track bike.
    Last edited by Burninator; 05-25-2010, 09:25 AM.
    Unionize Wal*Mart
    Labor Union: "An organization of workers formed for the purpose of advancing its members' interests in respect to wages, benefits, and working conditions." Now, what is so wrong with that? Seriously, someone please tell me.
    "Sex is an acquisition without the burden of possession. No matter how many women you take home, you never have a storage problem."
    Gear: Because walking away in disgust beats riding away in an ambulance.
    R.I.P CyberPoet

Originally posted by Burninator View Post
    Ever since then my front lever has some initial play when breaking.
    I can think of two things;
    1. you damaged the pad set up, maybe something in the pins. So that caliper is either sticking or if the pads got pushed back all the gunk in there messed things up. It is possible that the seal broke free just enough to let in some air.
    2. The caliper is actually loose.
    I would take the inspection cover off. Pull the clips, and pins (watch out for the spring clip on the pads) and inspect the pads, pins etc. If everything looks OK and you don't see damage, bleed the brakes.

Also, random, but will an 03 GSXR rear shock fit on a pre (97)? I am getting one for free from my friend who just heavily upgraded his track bike.
    Not as a drop in, the piggy back reservoir will hit the battery box, the spring is too large to fit through the swing arm and the length will really raise the rear, in fact on a stock set up the rear tire will touch the ground with the bike on the center stand.

Nice signature BTW..
    Last edited by Black_peter; 05-25-2010, 09:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      I can think of two things;
      1. you damaged the pad set up, maybe something in the pins. So that caliper is either sticking or if the pads got pushed back all the gunk in there messed things up. It is possible that the seal broke free just enough to let in some air.
      2. The caliper is actually loose.
      I would take the inspection cover off. Pull the clips, and pins (watch out for the spring clip on the pads) and inspect the pads, pins etc. If everything looks OK and you don't see damage, bleed the brakes.

Not as a drop in, the piggy back reservoir will hit the battery box, the spring is too large to fit through the swing arm and the length will really raise the rear, in fact on a stock set up the rear tire will touch the ground with the bike on the center stand.

Nice signature BTW..
      Hey, thanks for the reply. I took apart all the brakes and removed the calipers and inspected everything. Nothing is broken, bent or damaged in any way (that I can visibly see). I didn't even think about air getting into the lines. I will check that out and bleed the brakes first thing when I get back home Saturday. Thanks!!

I think I will forgo trying to set up the GSXR shock on the Kat, lol. Just got word from my friend that it is an '06 shock. So anyone need a rear shock for an '06 GSXR? lol
      Unionize Wal*Mart
      Labor Union: "An organization of workers formed for the purpose of advancing its members' interests in respect to wages, benefits, and working conditions." Now, what is so wrong with that? Seriously, someone please tell me.
      "Sex is an acquisition without the burden of possession. No matter how many women you take home, you never have a storage problem."
      Gear: Because walking away in disgust beats riding away in an ambulance.
      R.I.P CyberPoet

Comment

Actually the 06 is different than the 03. I'm not going to say it will work, the battery box still needs to get moved but the spring might be a different diameter..

Comment

I've fitted at 2004 GSXR shock, and it's not a huge amount of grinding needed to clear the suspension linkage. And the battery box is easily moved backwards with some home made brackets. Though I'm not sure how it would work out with a stock rear fender.
          Center stand is still usable, although as Black Peter mentions, the tire touches the ground.

Comment

Working...
          X