Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Another fork seal question! Please Help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another fork seal question! Please Help!

I am rebuilding my front forks. My first question is about setting the outer bushing. Do I set it into place before setting my fork seal or does the outer bushing set into place when you drive the seal in? Second, there seems to be some pitting where the seals sit, is there anything I need to do for the pitting before I set the seals? Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by strick9; 05-24-2010, 01:13 AM.

Yes, the bushing needs to be driven into place before driving the seal in.

Regarding the pitting, you should try to buff it smooth, at least so nothing sticks out (the metal around a pit is usually raised).

Comment

I have the home made seal driver made out of pvc pipe. Do you drive the bushing down the same way as the seal just making sure the washer is on top of the bushing?

Comment

I haven't done the Kat's suspension specifically, but I've used PVC seal drivers on other bikes. Not sure, but the washer may seat before the bushing does, so you may want to seat the bushing without the washer. If you're replacing the bushing, the old bushing can be used to help drive the new bushing (unless you have upside-down forks, then you'd have to split the bushing into two halves).

Comment

Working...
        X