X

having front forks rebuilt year after both were rebuilt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having front forks rebuilt year after both were rebuilt

Hello all, I have a question about how I can stiffen up he front forks on my 1992 kat. I had them rebuilt a year ago around this time and here it is a year later, and the left fork is leaking fluid, small leak, but has worn out the left side of a brand new front Michelin tire. I was wanting to know if there is any way to stiffen up the front forks by adding thicker fluid, or maybe a spacer or something to to make the front end stiffer. If anyone knows of anyway to stiffen up the forks please help me. I am a big guy, 250lbs, but I would have thought the front forks would have lasted longer than 12 months, my speedo has also stopped working, but the forks are far more important. I sure would appreciate any help anyone can give me, I love this bike!!!! here's a pic

thanks
    Brandon

Wasn't there something on here about a spacer mod for preload? I'm sure someone will chime in. Try contacting Tmod by pm.
    -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
    -My wife

Comment

I'm having the same problem with soft front-end.. But look here:

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
      swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
      Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Comment

Yup..
        bta, there have been a lot of "fork" topics lately. I would start by looking in the "brakes and suspension forum..

Oh, where I am moving this BTW

Comment

Originally posted by bta2997 View Post
          it is a year later, and the left fork is leaking fluid, small leak
          If the fork seals you bought were quality seals, then I'd carefully look at the fork stanchion to see if there is any pitting or scaring that could cause damage to the seal(s) themselves.

If they weren't quality seals then I'd look there as the potential culprit.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
            If the fork seals you bought were quality seals, then I'd carefully look at the fork stanchion to see if there is any pitting or scaring that could cause damage to the seal(s) themselves.

If they weren't quality seals then I'd look there as the potential culprit.
            A+ advice Any pitting would cause premature a failure!
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
            Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
            R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
            1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
            RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
            3BBB turn signal mirrors,
            Black painted seat and rear trim,
            Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

When you get new seals get either OEM or NOK as they seem to last the longest and be the best available. As squiggy suggested check for pitting or any damage.

As far as springs go you could get a set of 1.0 linear springs or if you like it still stiffer I think Sonic has a set of 1.1's for the kat's.

Tmod

Comment

When you had the forks "rebuilt" did you replace the bushings also or just the seals?
                As to stiffening, someone of your size should definitely look into new heavier rate springs.
                And you do understand that the left fork leaking is not what caused the left side of your tire to wear.
                Last edited by GregS; 05-23-2010, 08:30 AM.

Comment

fork rebuild

A year ago I had the seals, fluid, bushings and some internals changed. They were completely rebuilt or overhauled. Thanks you guys very much for all the help, I sure appreciate it. A buddy owns Riders Connection and has been the only one, other than my self that has worked on it. I was going to take the bike to him tomorrow to get the front forks rebuilt, I'm not sure if thicker fluid is an option, but it doesn't sound like a bad place to start. I have looked over the forks and haven't found any pitting or places that might eat away at a seal or bushing, but I will continue to look as they get taken apart. I'm going to check to see if Sonic has a set of 1.1's for the kat's, another odd thing happening with the bike, is there's a small amount of oil under it, but the sight glass shows it to be full, I didn't know if there was some way the sight glass could somehow read wrong, I really don't know how it could. I'm also looking for a header for the bike, the one that's on it now needs to be replaced, I'm trying to find one that runs along side the oil pan and not under it. I really thank everyone who has chimed in and helped me, I'm going to look at some sonic springs, and check out the suspension part of the forum, thanks for all the great advice. I am hunting down a 1200 Bandit rear shock and spring to put on it, along with another speedometer. Maybe I'll get lucky and the gear at the end of the cable needs replaced. Thanks again to all who helped!!!

Comment

front forks

I ordered the 1.0 springs this morning from http://www.sportbikesolutions.com/pr...s_racetech.htm

they are almost twice as stiff as the stock ones so surely they will do better than whats in it. I'm trying to find some thick shock oil to put in there with them, maybe a spacer to add a bit of preload to the springs. Thank you all for the help, you guys rock! Now all I need is a speedometer and a Bandit 1200 rear shock and spring and I should have a good bike. I would love to find a fender eliminator kit for it too, the stock fairings are ok, but I have seen some sweet bikes on this site and gotten some great ideas. Thanks again for the help, if anyone is ever in Birmingham Ala, hit me up and we can ride, thanks guys

Comment

I'm having real unpleasantness with a Bandit 12 shock in mine. Stock one would bottom out, but I'm finding the B12 is so stiff for my weight it's compromising handling.. If i get around to replacing it (RF900 one I think) before you find one I can sell it to you. Absolutely nothing wrong with it other than even on the lightest gearing it's still too stiff.

Comment

We used 15w oil in my brothers forks, it made a significant difference by itself. With 15w oil and new springs, you should feel a substantial difference

Comment

Working...
                        X