X

Fork are both too soft and too hard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork are both too soft and too hard

Have done a search and couldn't find a that much relevant information.

The problem I'm having is that I think the forks are so soft that when riding there is no play in them. Ride is so hard you can even feel the camber of the road tilting the bike.
    When just sitting, they slide comfortably enough, and are not bent and chrome in very good condition on the outside, but on the move the force on them seem to push them to bottoming out just on riding.
    There feel like there's a bit of vertical play in them but not a lot..
    I wonder if the bushes are worn. Seals fine, no leakage at all, but I don't know anything about what is flowing inside these ones.

This bike is also running the B12 shock mod and I suspect the increased turning moment of the raised back is putting more force on the front, but surely not so much to have THIS effect?

The bike is a pre- 600 Any advice on what I should do to rectify this?

The stock springs are progressive springs.

Swap them out with a stiffer spring, or add some extra preload. Search around for the "$1 Fork Mod"
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      Swap them out with a stiffer spring, or add some extra preload. Search around for the "$1 Fork Mod"
      I've seen that one before and did look for the post again, but with 500+ threads to trawl through I got frustrated with just finding references to it and decided to ask for myself.

Comment

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
        swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
        Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
        swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
        Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.
        Last edited by Trackerrrr; 05-15-2010, 10:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Cheers very much!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe_UK View Post
            but I don't know anything about what is flowing inside these ones.
            How old is the oil, how many miles?
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
              How old is the oil, how many miles?
              Pass, and the bike has done little over 40000

Comment

yeah i just had my forks redun in august and dont have but maybe 6000 miles on them since,, and already i cant tell a difference in my settings. the seals have not leaked at all.. gonna do the pvc mod today until i get my gsxr front end put on.
                sigpicwww.violationmotorcyclegear.com
                www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

A new front end would be nice and is on the 'want' list, but I don't have the cash, nor the time at the moment...
                  Nice looking bike you're riding Nealy, what front end are you planning on using on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe_UK View Post
                    A new front end would be nice and is on the 'want' list, but I don't have the cash, nor the time at the moment...
                    Nice looking bike you're riding Nealy, what front end are you planning on using on it?
                    i can get my hands on an 03 gsxr 750 front end for pretty cheap, but like you its on the to do list so when the funds come in will be one thing down haha.. thanks.. i just through on some more paint on the main fairings today,, the all black was looking a lil blah. and im gonna get rid of the high mount for dual shorties.
                    sigpicwww.violationmotorcyclegear.com
                    www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

I was looking at the GSX1300R front swap that others have done.. But at £250 for all the bits, plus sourcing the bearings for the conversion it's a painful mod on the bank.
                      That and I don't really fancy the upside down forks much. If they start leaking: Well the last thing you want is oil all over your brake discs

Comment

A nearly plug-and-play swap for our Kats is the 1993-1995 GSX-R750 and maybe the 1100. I did not research the 1100 as I did the 750. The steering stem is the same length, the steering bearings are the same. For the Pre's, you'll still be able to use the speedometer as those years still use the cable driven speedo. You'll have upside down, fully adjustable forks that can be upgraded with Race Tech goodies. In my case (2001) I will retain the same ignition and steering lock, so I can only assume the same for the Pre's.
                        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
                        X