X

Fork seals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork seals

Decided to replace my fork seals as one was leaking after seeing the vid somewere on here looked quite easy and it was TBO first one came out easy with the slide hammer action but the second one is stuck solid any ideas how i can get it out?I dont really want to take it to my lbs as me doing it was to save on cash.

It should pop out when you use the fork as a slide hammer on itself. The only thing that can hold up the process is the bolt still being in place at the bottom of the tube or something is stuck in the groove that the retaining clip rests in. Besides,what forks do you have?

Comment

Yeah, are you sure the clip is out of the groove?
      Or is there something in the groove holding the seal in.

Comment

I've seen one fork that was stuck due to the bushings being boogered up. I think we ended up using the small holes in the bottom of the fork tube as pry points to force the thing out. Not recommended, but didn't really have a choice...

If you can, get a second person to help you slide hammer it out.

Comment

you can use a wood screw (or two ), screw it into the seal and pull it to pull the seal out.

True if the bushing is screwed up it will keep it from driving out the seal

Comment

Yea i have made sure there is nothing in the grove so it should be free to come out.
            Me and my mate tryed for an hour last night but each time we did the hammer action the stantion got stuck.
            So as you say its prob the top bushing thats stuffed and stuck in its seat.
            Gonna have another go today will let you know if i have any luck.
            Like i said the other fork wich was the one that wasnt leaking came out easy
            so maybe the one with the crap seal has let sh** in and wrecked the bushing?
            Anyway going to go and throw it round the workshop in a bit lol so wil let you know later.

Comment

Well took few hours but got it out couldnt get a screw in so had to burn the seal out with blo torch.And the outer bush was still stuck in the seat but it came out with a lot of heat and ****words.Need new bushes tho as it messed up the tefflon coating.

Comment

That was a radical approach but it worked!
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                Black painted seat and rear trim,
                Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

When all else fails...