Front Fork Cap rounded

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Fork Cap rounded

Hi,

I have a 95 Katana 600. I tried to do the $1 dollar spacer mod to increase the preload, but the nut on the fork cap (24mm) is now rounded and i still couldn't take it off. I tried wrenches, sockets, impact wrench, its stuck on there and there is no where for the socket to grip onto to remove it. Any suggestions or ideas on how to remove it and where i may be able to get a replacement cap for cheap (the previous owner broke the rebound adjust screw rod that goes to through the fork so i just need the cap)? i had taken it off before to do the fork seals, but now i can't remove it at all. Thank you for your time.

Pipe wrench ?
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

You did loosen the top clamp bolt for the tube on that side first, right? If not, you'll NEVER get the cap off.
      Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
      Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Sounds to me like you are going to have to grind two flat surfaces, and find a large enough vise grip to clamp it tightly.

As previously mentioned, you'll need either a decent soft jaw vise, or to have them firmly in the triple tree to get the cap loose.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

This would be a good time to get rid of those caps altogether and get a set of Tmod's preload adjusters.
          Chris

Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
            You did loosen the top clamp bolt for the tube on that side first, right? If not, you'll NEVER get the cap off.
            Aint that the truth.

Another option is a box wrench.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
              How does the upper fork clamp prevent you from taking the fork cap off? Squeezes the fork cap threads too tight? (I always had the forks off when working on them, never thought of this..)

Comment

I've never had that issue, but then I don't have a 600 and the top is well away from the pinch of the top tree...

Before grinding on the cap I would try a chisel on the edge of the cap..

Comment

Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
                  How does the upper fork clamp prevent you from taking the fork cap off? Squeezes the fork cap threads too tight? (I always had the forks off when working on them, never thought of this..)
                  Yes. You would think not but the threads do get put under compression forces.
                  Chris

Comment

I had the same problem. Loosened the tree clamps, raised the fork tube higher where I could get to the cap bolt better, retightened the clamp bolts and used vice grips. Came right off. Wish I had done it that way sooner. I'm interested in those caps from TMOd but haven't been able to get in touch with him yet.

Comment

Originally posted by tdecker View Post
                      I'm interested in those caps from TMOd but haven't been able to get in touch with him yet.
                      Why not?

T

Comment

Working...
                      X