X

Steering damps

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering damps

So i want ti figure out what brand steering dampner i fit on my pre 600 it has the 91 gsxr 750 engine in it. And what kinda of mods will need to be done. thanks

Conventional wisdom on the site is, that the katana won't really benefit much from a steering damper.

Steps involved would be figuring out the dimensions of the forks, then getting a similarly size unit and adapting it to the katana steering stem.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

+1

If you just looking for one for looks, Miyagi had a thread with great pics of him mounting one up on his bike.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It wouldnt do me any good if its just for looks let me tell you a bit about my bike. I have done a swing arm chop & swap. I took a 2001 gsxr 1000 swing chopped and rewelded the pivot so that it sits in the my frame (97 600) Yes its functional and i ride it daily. I have also done Fork conversion as well 91 gsxr 750 forks. and yes it functional. I work at a cnc machine shop so i get to play with the machines alot and as long as i supply my own material and time (after hours of course) it doesnt cost me anything. even though i have made my own triple upper and lower it use the same hardware cause it still a 97 600 frame neck. So with these mods that i have are there any suggestions to what brand i could use. that would benefit me.

Comment

I guess in your case then, you might want to look and see what guys on the GSXR boards are running?
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post

I guess in your case then, you might want to look and see what guys on the GSXR boards are running?
            Ok ill try there and see what they say thanks. I f you come up with anything let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedWest View Post
              It wouldnt do me any good if its just for looks let me tell you a bit about my bike. I have done a swing arm chop & swap. I took a 2001 gsxr 1000 swing chopped and rewelded the pivot so that it sits in the my frame (97 600) Yes its functional and i ride it daily. I have also done Fork conversion as well 91 gsxr 750 forks. and yes it functional. I work at a cnc machine shop so i get to play with the machines alot and as long as i supply my own material and time (after hours of course) it doesnt cost me anything. even though i have made my own triple upper and lower it use the same hardware cause it still a 97 600 frame neck. So with these mods that i have are there any suggestions to what brand i could use. that would benefit me.
              Are you experiancing wobble or slap with your current setup? If yes, then there are other issues that need to be resolved. If not, then there is no reason for one other than looks.

The primary reason SS bikes have a stabalizer is due to the agressive stance (high rear end, low front) and angle of the front rake.

Kats have a very relaxed/stable rake. Even swapping out the swinger and front forks should not really change that, unless you have raised the rear by 3+ inches or something like that.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Are you experiancing wobble or slap with your current setup? If yes, then there are other issues that need to be resolved. If not, then there is no reason for one other than looks.

The primary reason SS bikes have a stabalizer is due to the agressive stance (high rear end, low front) and angle of the front rake.

Kats have a very relaxed/stable rake. Even swapping out the swinger and front forks should not really change that, unless you have raised the rear by 3+ inches or something like that.

Krey

Yes the rear is raised i guess i should of mentioned that has the rear suspension from the 2001 1000 i got the swingarm off of. so it does have more aggresive stance then the stock 600 and yeah im getting a bit of wobble at higher speeds normally when i hit the straight at the track usually come on around 120 or so. like i said its a small wobbble but ebough make you pucker your butt at that speed
                Last edited by TwistedWest; 02-25-2010, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I think a picture or two is in order...

I'm assuming you cut off the rear subframe to make the GSXR swingarm fit?

Anyway, you won't find a straight bolt-on solution for a damper. Take some measurements regarding the OD of your forks, where you'd like to mount the damper, and the stroke you will need, and make something up. But I don't need to tell you that..... if you mounted a GSXR1000 swingarm yourself, then you are certainly capable of figuring out how to mount a simple steering damper, no?
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedWest View Post
                    Yes the rear is raised i guess i should of mentioned that has the rear suspension from the 2001 1000 i got the swingarm off of. so it does have more aggresive stance then the stock 600 and yeah im getting a bit of wobble at higher speeds normally when i hit the straight at the track usually come on around 120 or so. like i said its a small wobbble but ebough make you pucker your butt at that speed

Look up Miyagi's thread.... when we said it was mainly for looks, it's because normally a Kat doesn't need a dampner so it would not do anything for most set ups. His setup is functional.

With your highly modified bike, it would work just fine I'm sure.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
                      swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
                      Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                        I think a picture or two is in order...

I'm assuming you cut off the rear subframe to make the GSXR swingarm fit?
                        No like i said i cut the pivot off of the 100 swingarm and and sheared it to sqeeze between the sub frame on the kat using the same hardware as the the stock minus the bushings those took some time to find the correct sizes. As for pics ill get some up as soon as i can. im currently at work at all my pics are my home pc.

Comment

Working...
                        X