No announcement yet.
X

Racetech Post Katana Protoype G3S Shock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a nice looking triple you got there. Did you look into Penske or Elka before going the RT route?

Comment

Originally posted by wcj View Post
      That's a nice looking triple you got there. Did you look into Penske or Elka before going the RT route?
      Awhile back I inquired about the Elka but they don't make one for the Kat and they did not show any interest in making one. Production vs Custom I guess. I looked at the Penske but the spring rate they use for the Kat's is incorrect and to me it is a waste to buy a custom shock that is not properly set up from the get go. Could you specify a spring? Yeah I guess you could but then you have to tell them how to build the shock. Not to confidence inspiring to me. With the RT shock you get the same exact components in the shock that a top level racer would get (Not that I am a racer but you get the point). This past weekend Team Yosh was testing these shocks at Fontana Raceway to replace what they currently use. Also team Kawasaki is testing them as well. Do I dislike the Penske or the Elkar? No I don't, They are decent shocks but IMO they just don't have the shocks for the Kat right. If they make one for it at all.

Tmod

Comment

What spring rate did you have to use and what do you weigh?

Comment

What spring rate did you have to use and what do you weigh?
          I weigh 210 and I ended up using a 1000 lb (17.9 kg/mm) spring rate.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
            I weigh 210 and I ended up using a 1000 lb (17.9 kg/mm) spring rate.

Tmod

Damn... was just curious. Rear shock has been on the brain lately since Im trying to hunt down a nice Penske or Elka for cheap.

Best I found so far was $700 for a double Elka and $750 for a double Penske.

I ruled out the Ohlins since the shock body and res are cast and not billet like the other two. Plus, Ohlins uses a standard 20* needle valving whereas the Penske and Elkas both use a parabolic needling so 1 click adjustment at one end is the same as one click on the other end. The change from a standard needle is incrementally larger the farther you go.

So Ive been told.

Comment

Damn... was just curious. Rear shock has been on the brain lately since Im trying to hunt down a nice Penske or Elka for cheap.

Best I found so far was $700 for a double Elka and $750 for a double Penske.

I ruled out the Ohlins since the shock body and res are cast and not billet like the other two. Plus, Ohlins uses a standard 20* needle valving whereas the Penske and Elkas both use a parabolic needling so 1 click adjustment at one end is the same as one click on the other end. The change from a standard needle is incrementally larger the farther you go.

So Ive been told.
              What bike do you have?

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by tmod View Post
                what bike do you have?

Tmod
                '05 sv650

Comment

'05 sv650
                  Hmmm check out a new double shock from RT, As stated you don't have to order the triple. Then you wouldn't need to change the spring or revalve a used shock.

Don't know if RT makes a gold valve for that bike but that would also be a option if they do.

Found this on Ebay Link

Tmod
                  Last edited by Tmod; 02-04-2010, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                    Hmmm check out a new double shock from RT, As stated you don't have to order the triple. Then you wouldn't need to change the spring or revalve a used shock.

Don't know if RT makes a gold valve for that bike but that would also be a option if they do.

Found this on Ebay Link

Tmod
                    I already have the emulators. Been trying to find a used shock that Id only need to change springs on. If all else fails, I'll probably just order that Elka since they're pretty much Penske clones anyways.

Comment

Fedex came by today

It's already installed.

Comment

Looking good there wcj.

Just as a note to any Katana owners Elka does not make a shock for a Katana that I know of and the last time I talked to them they didn't seem interested in making one.

Tmod

Comment

Great thread, good rear shock info!
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                          Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                          R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                          1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                          RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                          3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                          Black painted seat and rear trim,
                          Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                            ohlins no longer makes rear shocks for kats, and used ones are near impossible to find. I guess that sorta makes them better...
                            What are used one going for these days when they do pop up?

I just listed my Kat for sale locally but I'll be pulling my Ohlins SU801 [46HRCS] off to sell separately. I need the $$ to upgrade the Viffers suspension lol.
                            Kyle

Comment

Working...
                            X