X

R6 shock spring- change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R6 shock spring- change

I know a few have swamped out there stock shock for a R6 unit.
    Anyone swap spring out? I've always installed the correct springs on my dirt bikes, but this will be the first on a mono shock street bike. It should be harder due to the fact the r6 pre load setting is not threaded.

Anybody do this before?
    Richard
    96 Suzuki GSX750F
    89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
    05 Yamaha WR450F
    05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Ask Tmod.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yep done several, Here is the problem with the R6 shock when changing springs. You will need either a spacer or a threaded collar as the aftermarket springs do not come in the same length as the stock R6 shock. You will need a 6" spring but it will be shorter than the stock R6 by about 1/2". Maybe Yamaha has different rate springs for the stock shock but I doubt it. Anyway to put a threaded collar on you need to dis-assemble the shock as the clevis end is to big for the old adjuster to come off and the new one to go on. A spacer could be made so you do not have to take the shock apart but then you need the current spring rate and the new spring rate and then figure out how much preload you want on the new spring. Yeah I know you are saying that Tmod is making this sound very difficult for something that is so easy. But to get the proper spring you need to know how much the person weighs, How much sag they got with the stock spring and what ramp setting they were on, Also the current spring rate for that spring.

So did ya put the shock on and you didn't like it? I made a test shock and sent it out but never got any feedback on the shock so I have no idea how it worked out for that person of how much sag he got with the 11.6 spring I put on it.

EDIT: Here is a R6 shock with the threaded adjuster on it:

Tmod
      Last edited by Tmod; 01-08-2010, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
        Yep done several, Here is the problem with the R6 shock when changing springs. You will need either a spacer or a threaded collar as the aftermarket springs do not come in the same length as the stock R6 shock. You will need a 6" spring but it will be shorter than the stock R6 by about 1/2". Maybe Yamaha has different rate springs for the stock shock but I doubt it. Anyway to put a threaded collar on you need to dis-assemble the shock as the clevis end is to big for the old adjuster to come off and the new one to go on. A spacer could be made so you do not have to take the shock apart but then you need the current spring rate and the new spring rate and then figure out how much preload you want on the new spring. Yeah I know you are saying that Tmod is making this sound very difficult for something that is so easy. But to get the proper spring you need to know how much the person weighs, How much sag they got with the stock spring and what ramp setting they were on, Also the current spring rate for that spring.

So did ya put the shock on and you didn't like it? I made a test shock and sent it out but never got any feedback on the shock so I have no idea how it worked out for that person of how much sag he got with the 11.6 spring I put on it.

EDIT: Here is a R6 shock with the threaded adjuster on it:

Tmod
        No haven't mounted the shock yet. Just thinking forward. Will probably wait to get it mounted, play with the preload, see if I can mess with the ride height, Via mounts, and go from there. If I do change out the spring I'll get the threaded adjuster. It just not right to not have some adjustment built in to it. I've got two dirt bikes that I often play with the pre load, etc ft and Rear. I love to tinker and experiment. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my WR forks right now, besides doing a full make over on the GSXF
        Thanks Richard
        96 Suzuki GSX750F
        89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
        05 Yamaha WR450F
        05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X