X

scratching sound

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scratching sound

the bike only has 7k miles on it. 06, 600. after i washed it the first time, the front brakes were making a sound... like a rubbing between the caliper and rotor when it rolls (there's no rust). it seems to brake fine, doesnt squeal, just makes the rubbing sound.

now the rear started doing it too. this happened after i rode it in a light shower the other day. i wonder, should it be time for a brake job at this point normally? at only 7k miles? is it expensive to have done?

when i first posted this question about the front brake, several people told me not to worry aobut it, not a big deal and that it's common.

i just want to make sure there's no safety issue.

i know the obvious thing is "take it in" and i will, but i wont have the money to put into it for 3 weeks.

so in the meantime... worry or dont worry?
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

look at your pads. if material showing is 1mm. or more and your bike stops ok then don't worry. if @1mm.=/- then it's time to replace pads.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

as Kat Toy said, verify your brake pads ar ok, but otherwise, this is normal.
      its just pad to brake disk contact rubbing off any corrosion or deposits.

mine does this also after a rain, or if ots been sitting a bit. you may not see rust, but its there, and scrubs off ina few revolutions of the wheel

See My Garage for mods...
      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Pads

I recently noticed my rear pads doing this as well and I only have 3,000 miles on it. A lot of people are saying it's normal. Could you provide a pic of the rear brake pad with a good flash?
        Car please stop wasting my time and use your blinker!

Comment

Look, it's normal. Ever let your car sit for a day or two in the rain? Expect this everytime your bike's out in the rain or gets washed.

It's normal.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
          X