X

suspension adjust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension adjust

im trying to soften the suspension so itll lower a little when i sit on it. ive got the tool, and i have it up on the centerstand.

im trying to spin the dial from 4 to like 5 or 6 (thatll make it SOFTER, right?)

anyway, i cant get the thing to turn. there's not much room to work there anyway, but is there some trick or advice you can give me about spinning it?

it looks like it should be simple enough but it just wont turn. thanks!
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

The Higher the number the stiffer the suspension. Also if its really tight.. which it shouldn't be you can use a piece of pipe over the tool for more torque.. most likely once you turn it , you'll realize its not as hard to turn as you think.

Comment

Originally posted by kidblooper View Post
      The Higher the number the stiffer the suspension. Also if its really tight.. which it shouldn't be you can use a piece of pipe over the tool for more torque.. most likely once you turn it , you'll realize its not as hard to turn as you think.

thats a good tip thanks

ok i got it now. i see that the tool actually come with a small slip on extension and that made all the difference
      Last edited by edromero; 11-29-2009, 12:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      previous rides
      06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
      next ride - another kat

Comment

Measure for sag, then set the pre-load.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

with the preset type shock as you have, you can get "close" but not ON perfect sag...and you cant do any sag adjustment with teh front forks without changing the spacer length between the fork caps and springs.

remember.. all suspension adjustments should be done with the rear tire on the ground.

also, adjusting what yer trying to will not lower the bike per se...it will be "lower" because yer softening the suspension in the rear, but this will adversely affect handling on the bike, increase squat on acceleration, increase tire squirm, possibly increase yo-yoing on the rear in bumps, and bottom out easier on bumps.

you need lowering links to drop the rear properly, and even out the lowering by dropping teh front forks a bit thru the upper tree.

dont adjust the suspension setting to lower the bike, the ride will SUCK, and it will be uncomfortable, and unsafe.... adjust the suspension properly for your geared up weight...you'll be glad you did.

if you want lowering links, I suggest getting some from Graham...aka Neoublie here:

See My Garage for mods...
          T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
          Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
            with the preset type shock as you have, you can get "close" but not ON perfect sag...and you cant do any sag adjustment with teh front forks without changing the spacer length between the fork caps and springs.

remember.. all suspension adjustments should be done with the rear tire on the ground.

also, adjusting what yer trying to will not lower the bike per se...it will be "lower" because yer softening the suspension in the rear, but this will adversely affect handling on the bike, increase squat on acceleration, increase tire squirm, possibly increase yo-yoing on the rear in bumps, and bottom out easier on bumps.

you need lowering links to drop the rear properly, and even out the lowering by dropping teh front forks a bit thru the upper tree.

dont adjust the suspension setting to lower the bike, the ride will SUCK, and it will be uncomfortable, and unsafe.... adjust the suspension properly for your geared up weight...you'll be glad you did.

if you want lowering links, I suggest getting some from Graham...aka Neoublie here:

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60133

This....

Properly setup suspension makes a huge difference in ride/feel... make the correct adjustment to lower the bike using links... don't frag your susupension to compensate.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

When you are ready to make real changes, drop Tmod a note.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                When you are ready to make real changes, drop Tmod a note.

i hear ya... its on my radar, but my girlfriend and bank accoutn can only take so much!
                previous rides
                next ride - another kat

Comment

real changes dont take much cash

Racetech fork springs for your weight... about $100 or less

As seen, lowering links from Graham, cheap

Dropping the forks, hand tools and time.

changing spacer length in the forks to adjust preload/sag.. steel washers and time, or some PVC pipe and time.

upgrade to a post98 750 shock that has a threaded preload adjuster(not presets), compression damping with remote reservoir, and rebound damping... about $50 or so on Ebay... and its a drop in upgrade.

and, as steve said, check with Tmod, hes the Racetech and other suspension guru.

See My Garage for mods...
                  T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                  Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Working...
                  X