No announcement yet.
X

Raising the rear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does raising the rear effect how the bike handles?
    "When in doubt, throttle out."
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by his-royal-freshness View Post
      does raising the rear effect how the bike handles?
      Yes it does, It will quicken the steering, Much like bringing the fork tubes up in the triple clamps but without any of the drawbacks.

Tmod

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, but what are the drawbacks with dropping the front rather than raising the rear?
        -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
        -My wife

Comment

Originally posted by izzy View Post
          Excuse my ignorance, but what are the drawbacks with dropping the front rather than raising the rear?
          A few that come to mind are,

(1) Reduced fork travel (will hit triple with anything more than about 5/8" drop)

(2) Stability issues if you go too far on the drop.

(3) Depending on the drop ground clearance can become a issue.

I know there are some legit reasons for dropping the front and I have no issues with it but there are other methods available to get the same results only safer if you are looking for quicker turn in.

Tmod
          Last edited by Tmod; 12-28-2009, 11:13 PM.

Comment

what year zx14 shock did you use? and what exactly did you do the battery box? jw im considering doing this
            sigpic
            -Cory-
            1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

Originally posted by overboost07 View Post
              what year zx14 shock did you use? and what exactly did you do the battery box? jw im considering doing this
              07... I think. I don't think they changed much. It's this one....

Originally posted by izzy View Post
              Like Tmod said, you can only raise your forks in the tubes so much before the lowers can bang on the bottom triple when compressed. You also lose ground clearance (putting your head pipes at risk), and cornering clearance.

The trade off is that by raising the rear instead, you have a further reach to the ground, and your CoG is higher.
              Last edited by loudnlow7484; 12-28-2009, 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
              X