X

Front forks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front forks

I know its been touched on before but here goes- I noticed my front is really soft so i looked at the right fork and there was oil all over it after a 43 mile ride today, also the outer sleeve(?) seems to go all the way up to the bottom of the bottom clamps very easily- so my questions are first off are my springs bad, second what seals exactly are needed to rebuild the front shocks- my guess would be that when the oil is full and not leaking there is a lot more resistance?- sorry for the long post and for any incorrect terms- thanks for your help

yep sounds like ya blew a seal. The springs are gonna feel way soft without the proper amount of oil in the tubes. IMHO they are way too soft even when they are in good stock condition. The ole 5 dollar fork mod worked wonders with mine.
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
      yep sounds like ya blew a seal. The springs are gonna feel way soft without the proper amount of oil in the tubes. IMHO they are way too soft even when they are in good stock condition. The ole 5 dollar fork mod worked wonders with mine.
      I didnt understand the 5 dollar fork mod could someone elaborate, also ive been looking at seals online and it seems that the "kits" come with a set of 2 seals and two wipers for a total of 4 seals is that all i need to replace besides the oil? Should i keep the stock springs in im a little short on cash atm so will they work fine?

Comment

There's two bushings inside each fork also. One should be black on the outside and the other should be black on the inside. If There's no black left (teflon) on the sides that are supposed to have it on it, or if they are scarred or anything, you might want to replace them too. If they are good, yes, the seals and wipers are the only thing you have to replace, other than the oil.......I think.

Comment

Originally posted by cleankat96 View Post
          I didnt understand the 5 dollar fork mod could someone elaborate, also ive been looking at seals online and it seems that the "kits" come with a set of 2 seals and two wipers for a total of 4 seals is that all i need to replace besides the oil? Should i keep the stock springs in im a little short on cash atm so will they work fine?
          By wipers are you talking about the dust seals?

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54467 .....FORK MOD

Check out this thread. It pretty much explains what your gonna need and how to go about installing it. I used Steel fender washers in mine so that I can adjust the spacing as desired. But I've heard people use PVC pipe with good results as well. I really doubt that your springs are BAD. But once you open the fork tubes up you can inspect them as needed.
          Joker
          sigpic

Comment

By wipers are you talking about the dust seals?

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54467 .....FORK MOD

Check out this thread. It pretty much explains what your gonna need and how to go about installing it. I used Steel fender washers in mine so that I can adjust the spacing as desired. But I've heard people use PVC pipe with good results as well. I really doubt that your springs are BAD. But once you open the fork tubes up you can inspect them as needed.
            Yep the dust seals all the kits call them wipers-

Comment

Originally posted by bubba600 View Post
              There's two bushings inside each fork also. One should be black on the outside and the other should be black on the inside. If There's no black left (teflon) on the sides that are supposed to have it on it, or if they are scarred or anything, you might want to replace them too. If they are good, yes, the seals and wipers are the only thing you have to replace, other than the oil.......I think.
              Which numbers are the bushings?

SU0322_082.jpg

Comment

yeppers you should be good ta go. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=90949 another useful thread on fork oils and such
                Joker
                sigpic

Comment

yeppers you should be good ta go. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=90949 another useful thread on fork oils and such
                  Thanks for the help- one more question when i turn the dampening adjusters at the top of the forks they just keep turning with very little resistence is that because theres like no oil in the forks?

Comment

Which numbers are the bushings?

[ATTACH]14663[/ATTACH]
                    Number 3 should be black on the inside and number 19 should be black on the outside.
                    Last edited by bubba600; 10-12-2009, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the help- one more question when i turn the dampening adjusters at the top of the forks they just keep turning with very little resistence is that because theres like no oil in the forks?
                      On mine the clickers will keep turning and they shouldn't have much resistance at all. It is simply turning a plunger inside to change the size of the holes that the fluid flows through. Number 1 is softest and 3 the firmest. I replaced the oil in mine with 15w and have found the improvement immense. Immediately I had more confidence and feedback from the front.
                      Do not walk behind me for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just f*#@ off and leave me alone.

Comment

Working...
                      X