X

Shock help...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock help...

The shock is busted on my bike. I have been reading through some threads on replacing it with another shock. I seen Tmod's thread on rebuilding it and I was also looking at loudandlow's thread on the r6 shock. My questions are: Without pysically looking at the r6 shock, I dont know what differences there is with the bottom bolt. I read something about the kats is 12mm and the r6 is 10mm. What would I need to do to get it on the bike? Also, Tmod, do you actually rebuild the shocks or sell the parts to reubild them? Any help on this is appreciated!!!
    01 Kat 750- daytona blue, black and gunmetal powdercoat, yoshi RS-3, 03+ tail section , Barnett Kevlar clutch and springs, 8k HID's, racerback seat cowl, polished lips and painted rotors, tinted windscreen, lowered, smoked turn and tail lights, intergraded led tail light KatRiders decals,184 White leds! More of them to come.
    Repaint this winter, along with some other stuff

Originally posted by 01kat750 View Post
    The shock is busted on my bike. I have been reading through some threads on replacing it with another shock. I seen Tmod's thread on rebuilding it and I was also looking at loudandlow's thread on the r6 shock. My questions are: Without pysically looking at the r6 shock, I dont know what differences there is with the bottom bolt. I read something about the kats is 12mm and the r6 is 10mm. What would I need to do to get it on the bike? Also, Tmod, do you actually rebuild the shocks or sell the parts to reubild them? Any help on this is appreciated!!!
    What do you mean by busted? Broken at the eye or clevis? Or the shaft or do you mean it just doesn't dampen anymore? The R6 shock has a 12mm hole at the bottom where the kat has a 10mm bolt hole, Also the R6 would require moving the battery box back as I have tried installing it and I thought it was too much work so I went a different route. Also the R6 will require bushings for the clevis end to reduce from 12mm down to 10mm. I have the tools here to rebuild shocks but I don't really sell the parts as I am only able to get them from the same places as you. If you are considering rebuilding your own you will need to have a charging cap made for the reservoir as the stock post 750 kat shock cannot be charged when taken apart without that cap.

Hope I answered your questions.

Tmod

Comment

It doesnt dampen anymore. My bike is lowered 2 inches. With my girlfriend and I on the bike, it is basically bottomed out and we are about 325 total, most of that being me...lol I rode a buddies 06 kat and its a completely different bike. I looked on ebay and around here some, but havent had much luck on a shock. I came across the thread about the r6 shock and just thought it might be a better replacement.
      01 Kat 750- daytona blue, black and gunmetal powdercoat, yoshi RS-3, 03+ tail section , Barnett Kevlar clutch and springs, 8k HID's, racerback seat cowl, polished lips and painted rotors, tinted windscreen, lowered, smoked turn and tail lights, intergraded led tail light KatRiders decals,184 White leds! More of them to come.

Comment

It doesnt dampen anymore. My bike is lowered 2 inches. With my girlfriend and I on the bike, it is basically bottomed out and we are about 325 total, most of that being me...lol I rode a buddies 06 kat and its a completely different bike. I looked on ebay and around here some, but havent had much luck on a shock. I came across the thread about the r6 shock and just thought it might be a better replacement.
        So I would imagine you used links to lower the bike and the issue with that is it will change the leverage ratio and the shock will not perform like it would with standard links. With the weight and the fact that it is lowered that much I would suggest a stiffer spring and a shock with a little more compression damping and that bad part of that is it will increase the ride stiffness. With 2 up riding it will work fine but when riding single it will be a little stiff. I would not suggest the R6 shock as it requires modding to get it to fit. So let me ask you what you thought of the 06 kat shock and I am assuming it was a 750?

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
          So I would imagine you used links to lower the bike and the issue with that is it will change the leverage ratio and the shock will not perform like it would with standard links. With the weight and the fact that it is lowered that much I would suggest a stiffer spring and a shock with a little more compression damping and that bad part of that is it will increase the ride stiffness. With 2 up riding it will work fine but when riding single it will be a little stiff. I would not suggest the R6 shock as it requires modding to get it to fit. So let me ask you what you thought of the 06 kat shock and I am assuming it was a 750?

Tmod
          Truck Tech has an 06 600, mine is an 01 750. His bike feels completely different from mine. His rides like a cadillac and mine rides like a log truck. His bike is as smooth as it can be. His is also lowered 2 inches. I can sit on my bike, bounce and it will bottom out. Yes, I used links to lower it. Its ok if its a little stiff with just me, just as long as it doesnt bottom out with both of us.
          Last edited by 01kat750; 05-03-2009, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Truck Tech has an 06 600, mine is an 01 750. His bike feels completely different from mine. His rides like a cadillac and mine rides like a log truck. His bike is as smooth as it can be. His is also lowered 2 inches. I can sit on my bike, bounce and it will bottom out. Yes, I used links to lower it.
            Well with that said yep it sounds like it blew out but it should have some oil around the outside of the lower section where the shaft exits the body. Only other option would be the shims inside the shock took a set and are open or you lost the nitrogen charge and the shock has cavitation. The spring taking a set is rare but it would be possible just not probable. Being that it is lower that also limits your choice of shocks as most of the other ones would raise the bike back up. So your best bet IMHO would be either get yours repaired or by a used post 750 03+ preferred using the threaded collar and use that.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
              Well with that said yep it sounds like it blew out but it should have some oil around the outside of the lower section where the shaft exits the body. Only other option would be the shims inside the shock took a set and are open or you lost the nitrogen charge and the shock has cavitation. The spring taking a set is rare but it would be possible just not probable. Being that it is lower that also limits your choice of shocks as most of the other ones would raise the bike back up. So your best bet IMHO would be either get yours repaired or by a used post 750 03+ preferred using the threaded collar and use that.

Tmod
              I have been looking for a shock but havent had much luck. I guess I'll justkeep looking. Thanks for the help. I think that it has lost the nitrogen charge. There is no fluid around the shock. It does have rebound, but I think that is just from the spring. I dont believe that the spring is collasped.

Comment

Working...
              X