X

Add to the shock swap list.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add to the shock swap list.....

ZX14 shocks swap right in, 10mm bolts top and bottom, and the bottom fork is the correct size. The battery box only needs mild tweaking to fit. It will lift the bike by about 1 1/2 - 2 inches. Spring rate would be good for someone from about 150-175 lbs (8.9 kg/mm, I believe) Adjustable for compression and rebound damping. Completely rebuildable.

The 06-08 R6 shock swaps in fine. The bottom bolts are 12mm, though, so you will have to fix that with bushings. This shock LOWERS the bike by about 1/2" or so. Spring rate is the same as the ZX14, but the big improvement is that this shock is adjustable for high and low speed compression damping, along with rebound damping. Once again, battery box needs only minor tweaking. I'm working on using an old GPZ900 shock knuckle that should raise the bike back up, and allow for the 12mm bolt to remain in the bottom. The knuckle needs to be shaved down a bit to fit the frame, and the shock, but it looks like it will fit nicely.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Also keep in mind that unless the shock you are installing uses the same leverage ratio the spring may or may not be the right rate for any certain weight. I have never seen the linkage on the ZX-14 or the R6 but if it is different than the kat lever you cannot take a rate and say it will be right for the rider or weight. Also all the adjustability in the world won't do any good if the valving in the shock is wrong for the bike and rider combo.

Thanks for the info as I will be looking into these shocks as well as the stock 98+ 750 kat shock and the early gsxr shocks.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
      Also keep in mind that unless the shock you are installing uses the same leverage ratio the spring may or may not be the right rate for any certain weight.
      Spring rate vs Weight. If you know the actual spring rate it isn't effected by the link. Spring to Spring. But yes if you are comparing the curb weight of the bikes you need to know about the link ratio.

L& L if you have pictures that would be great. You have actually installed these into a Kat right? Not just make estimates? I really only want to add shocks that have been physically installed and checked out for operation (at least a ride)

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
        Spring rate vs Weight. If you know the actual spring rate it isn't effected by the link. Spring to Spring. But yes if you are comparing the curb weight of the bikes you need to know about the link ratio.
        I am referring to the actual bike weight in addition to the rider on that bike. I agree comparing spring rate to spring rate would be the same no matter what.

Tmod

Comment

Also keep in mind that unless the shock you are installing uses the same leverage ratio the spring may or may not be the right rate for any certain weight. I have never seen the linkage on the ZX-14 or the R6 but if it is different than the kat lever you cannot take a rate and say it will be right for the rider or weight. Also all the adjustability in the world won't do any good if the valving in the shock is wrong for the bike and rider combo.

Thanks for the info as I will be looking into these shocks as well as the stock 98+ 750 kat shock and the early gsxr shocks.

Tmod
          I've physically mounted both of these shocks using the Kat linkage. When doing that, the ZX14 raises it, and the R6 lowers it. I still haven't worked out the GPZ linkage with the R6 shock, but the linkage has roughly the same pivot/dogbone/shock mount ratio, so it should be pretty close to the same in terms of rate.

L& L if you have pictures that would be great. You have actually installed these into a Kat right? Not just make estimates? I really only want to add shocks that have been physically installed and checked out for operation (at least a ride)
          Yes, actually installed. Haven't ridden either due to the bike not being functional, and the weather being 20 degrees....... They feel nice, though. Obviously a bit stiffer than the stocker, but not unreasonably so.

If you use the stock linkage with the R6 shock, you have to sleeve the bottom mount for the 10mm bolt. Otherwise, both are bolt on. Battery box only mildly interferes with the reservoir on either.... less on the R6 than on the ZX. I'll try to get pictures sometime, but I'm leaving the country on the 29th and I'm not sure that I'll have time.

BTW- both on a 750, obviously. Don't know how a 600 would react on account of the shorter swingarm.
          Last edited by loudnlow7484; 12-18-2008, 11:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

What year ZX14 shock works? Also, did you try these on pre's or 98+? Id like to bring the back up a little bit on my 93 600, and maybe the 14 shock would be a good option?

Comment

I am referring to the actual bike weight in addition to the rider on that bike. I agree comparing spring rate to spring rate would be the same no matter what.

Tmod
              Oh I was pretty sure you knew what you were saying...
              My comment was mostly for clarification

L&L as long as you are confident there is nothing that binds up during full travel. Fitment should be the same 600/750. It's nice to have some shocks on the list that are just a few years old.. Thanks

Comment

Just a addition the ZX-14 shock is good for a 150 lb rider and the rate is 9.7 kg/mm.

The R6 shock is good for a 190 lb rider and the rate is 9.8 kg/mm.

That is for each bike and does not transfer over to the kat or any other bike.

I guess the ratio is considerably different between those two shock levers.

Tmod

Comment

Just a addition the ZX-14 shock is good for a 150 lb rider and the rate is 9.7 kg/mm.

The R6 shock is good for a 190 lb rider and the rate is 9.8 kg/mm.

That is for each bike and does not transfer over to the kat or any other bike.

I guess the ratio is considerably different between those two shock levers.

Tmod
                  Indeed, the ratio is very different between bikes. My weight estimates were rough, call them "educated guesses", by looking at bikes with similar levers, similar weight, and similar swingarm length. I actually didn't get the R6 lever with the shock I have, so I don't know if it could be fitted or not.... haven't even tried. The GPZ900 unit does look promising, though. I'll try to get some pictures, the next time there is sun and I'm not working.

L&L as long as you are confident there is nothing that binds up during full travel. Fitment should be the same 600/750. It's nice to have some shocks on the list that are just a few years old.. Thanks
                  While I haven't taken it off any sweet jumps or anything, I can say that it doesn't appear to have any chance of binding on anything. Both are relatively narrow setups. The R6 shock is too close to the swingarm for me to feel comfortable putting shorter dogbones on to lift it back up, but definitely far enough away for me to feel comfortable riding it. The GPZ knuckle should fix that, though.... but we'll have to wait and see.
                  Last edited by loudnlow7484; 12-18-2008, 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

L&L what is the OD of the spring on the R6 shock?

Tmod

Comment

L&L what is the OD of the spring on the R6 shock?

Tmod
                      You did that on purpose..... It's like 25 degrees outside and my bike is out in the shed, in the dark.....

I'll check for you anyway. You couldn't ask for the ZX14 shock could you? hahah

Comment

No biggie don't need to do it anytime soon.

Tmod

Comment

Alright..... I did a little picture taking for your pleasure. Firstly, the O.D. of the springs..... the ZX14 spring is a little over 3" as measured at the bottom seat, and the R6 is a little under 3" measured the same. The ZX14 shock is longer center-to-center than the stocker by quite a bit, the R6 is shorter by maybe 1/4 or 3/8".

Here is the ZX14 vs stock pre98 750

GPZ900 linkage vs katana linkage (note- the GPZ linkage is backwards, my fault)

And now for the not-so-good pictures...... the flash on my camera is non-functional, so I went out to my shed with a flashlight to try to get some pictures of the R6 shock. This is the result.....

The shock is nowhere near rubbing anything spring-wise. The reservoir, as you can see, just barely fouls the battery box. I think a good bending should clear it by enough to make me comfortable, honestly. The ZX14 shock fouls the box a bit more, so it might require a more serious rework of the mounts, but definitely not as much as the busa shock, or the gsxr shocks with similar reservoirs.

If that R6 shock was just a little bit longer, it would be great. I don't know when I'll get the work finished on the GPZ knuckle to try it out. I'll let you know.

Comment

I actually yawned while reading this thread...
                            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                              I actually yawned while reading this thread...
                              It's a sign of things to come from me. My posts must be neutered now. Sorry for the boredom.

Comment

Working...
                              X