X

new shock in and tail lifted!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new shock in and tail lifted!!

hooray got the rusty old shock out and managed to get a busa rear shock off ebay uk buy it now 10 uk pounds plus postage yes!! 10 pounds not 100!
    got the shock mounted now just need to relocate battery box and refit backend up including new rear tailtidy and mini indicators also off ebay for 99p each!
    but know i need to figure out which adjustment does what to the handling and get it set for my weight 15 stone?
    any help on this would be really really good!! as usually when you start messing with suspension it goes all pete tong
    happy that my bike is finally getting done ready for mot!!
    bike 250 taxed and tested!!
    rear pads 20
    rear busa shock 25
    two tyresas new 70
    s.plugs 14
    tank 30
    indicators 2
    tail tidy 1
    seat 5
    front forks 40
    all prices in uk pounds and all parts off ebay or from local motorcycle custom shop,
    shark motorcycles hereford
    not even 500 pounds about a 1000 dollars and i have a kat that is all repainted and repaired ready for mot

look at the pics before and after i got the bike cheap from a mate at work who has had it for 4 years and not done a thing to it!! apart fom drop it!CRIM0291.jpg

CRIM0292.jpg

CRIM0039.JPG

CRIM0273.jpg
    before, original mess!
    35.71%
    after, 1 eyed purple monster!!
    64.29%

Sorry mate but theres no option on the poll for ...i now have no sag & have messed up the handling so i cant vote
    Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Comment

...from the title, I thought the thread was about using a stun gun to pick up chicks...
        -
        -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

obviously some people dont know s*%t putting a busa shock and then adjusting properly will be hell of a lot better than using crappy kat shock that came with bike!
          and thinking about using a stun gun to pick up girls then you are in the wrong forum mate!

Comment

Yes the busa shock is fun to install I can imagine with all the stuff I'm doing to my bike and having to re-weld stuff on and cut stuff off. Your bike looks nice. What color is that?
            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

cheers at least someone can see some effort has been done in the shed!, the busa shock is a bolt in shock and you only have to move the battery box back about an inch and trim the inner splashguard back and its in!
              but try and get someone to help when putting in shock as on your own it is a biaiatch!!
              you need someone to lever the shock while you put top and bottom bolts in and after that its easy
              the colour is amaranth pearl its purple metallic with a candy blue flip lacquer over the top its on alot of rovers in the uk and my mini was the same colour always wanted to see what it looked like on a bike so it had to have it

Comment

Thanks for posting the pictures Dean! I think those are the first ones we have here.
                I'm gonna link this thread in my rear shock interchange thread!

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Comment

CRIM0295.jpg

CRIM0296.jpg

CRIM0297.jpg
                  here are some more pics on the fitting!
                  also the rear only lifts if you win the preload up if you back it right off just so the spring is seated tight then there is no lift so you can still use the original center stand

Comment

Dean, what year Busa shock did you use?

Comment

hi it came off a 2001 busa but so i have been told 1999 till 2006 are the same but i dont know this for sure just going on what shop said

Comment

Looks good

Comment

handling

Originally posted by tone View Post
                          Sorry mate but theres no option on the poll for ...i now have no sag & have messed up the handling so i cant vote
                          actually you are wrong about the handling. many of us have put on busa or gixxer shocks. i for one noticed it handles 20 times better now. the center of gravity is now changed and the bike loves the curves

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, beer in one hand, cigarette in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WHO HOO what a ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerzr2 View Post
                            actually you are wrong about the handling. many of us have put on busa or gixxer shocks. i for one noticed it handles 20 times better now. the center of gravity is now changed and the bike loves the curves
                            No offense, but this kind of defies logic, since the busa shock comes factory with a 13.1 kg/mm spring, whereas a kat with an average, 180 lb rider would be better off with something in the neighborhood of 8.5-9.0 kg/mm. Raising the back end will quicken up handling, but I do understand his comment. For your average sized rider, a busa shock just comes with too stiff a spring.
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                              No offense, but this kind of defies logic, since the busa shock comes factory with a 13.1 kg/mm spring, whereas a kat with an average, 180 lb rider would be better off with something in the neighborhood of 8.5-9.0 kg/mm. Raising the back end will quicken up handling, but I do understand his comment. For your average sized rider, a busa shock just comes with too stiff a spring.
                              Thank you sir good to see someone has taken the time to check out the spring rates & obviously understands a little about proper suspension setup

For your information a busa shock on the stock settings is way too hard for a kat & the only way to sort this to any degree is to wind the preload down & back off the rebound which kind of defeats the object IE it will never work as it should when the bike is pushed hard on uneven surfaces which is dangerous imo but hey its your choice

gixer shocks are a diferent thing alltogether & pose a different set of problems but can be made to work quite well if you can find one thats not completely shot cheap enough
                              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
                              X