X

How do you clean a brake rotor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you clean a brake rotor

I'm a Kat noob, so please be gentle. What do you guys suggest using to clean brake rotors. Is there a product I can get at the bike shop for this? I just bought a 98 Kat 750 and the rear rotor is a little "dirty", not rust but not clean.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

I use laquer thinner on a rag ,normally have a 5gl pail in garage any how, it has no oils but be really careful around paint or plastic or you will regret it
    you coulld go to any automotive supply and get brake clean ,it is in an aerosol but you can spray on a clean rag or paper towel then wipe down

I have used a lot of CRC brand brake clean red can, dont get it in your eyes it will hurt LOL
    I don't recommend non chlorinated or "green friendly " brands they just dont seem to work as well
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

You can also use some Windex to clean your rotors of brake residue and road grime.
      2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
      2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Thanks, you guys are fast. I wasn't expecting an answer until tomorrow. I'll go out and buy some brake clean right now.
        Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Normal use of the brakes will clean the rotor up some...
          a green 3M pad and some windex will remove any buildup on the rotor.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

How about small rusting spot; anyone have speical method to deal with them? I use flitz and "ball up" aluminum foil on the perimeter (careful not to get the chemical onto the rotor itself where the brake pad clams onto).
            sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Originally posted by GSXF View Post
              How about small rusting spot; anyone have speical method to deal with them?
              I use the brakes. Does away with any rust on the swept area.
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

In the shop we use CRC BRAK KLEEN. Seems to work the best.
                A good friend will come bail you out of jail. Your best friend will be standing there next to you saying, "We really screwed up!"

Comment

Yes, to clean brakes...... I generally use.......... brake cleaner.
                  Strangely, to clean windows, I have a tendency to use window cleaner, and in my bathtub, I use tub & tile cleaner. I admit, I'm a strange one, though!

Brake cleaner is in every single auto parts store. It works like a charm. Using a pot & pan scrubber will help to get anything off that won't come off just by spraying.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                  X