X

Stuck Fork Seals.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Fork Seals.

So after I decided to rebuild the forks and do the PVC mod , I forgot to account for the extra displacement for the PVC vs. the metal spacer.

The new seal I put in didnt like this . So now I am putting in new seals again and the "old" seals dont want to come out. I think they may have a slightly larger OD ( The "lifetime" seals)

So the question is , whats the best way to get a stuck seal out. I have been slamming the inner tube for the better part of an hour and getting no where.

First off you put in the oil without the spacer.. So I don't know why the PVC effected this. I assume you mean the fork seals blew out because of that? Something else was wrong IMO.

Second if you can't get the current seals out using the tube as a "slide hammer" something is really wrong.
    You did remember to remove the spring clip right?

Comment

I replaced the whole metal spacer with 1 piece of PVC and Im thinking it blew the old seal .

The wave washer is out and the thing is stuck in there really good. i was thinking hair dryer?

Comment

item 6 is the clip he's talking about, I've heard that called a lot of things, wave washer is not one of them.

Comment

Yes the #6 clip is out. Tried boiling water on the seal , Heating the tube . NO go .

Comment

The BOTTOM bolt is out too, right? The allen key at the end of the fork leg, in the centre?

#11 in the fiche?
            93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

I dont have that allen bolt. Everything is free except the seal.
              Im thinking about drilling two holes on either side of the seal to relieve the pressure.

Comment

My memory is getting really bad. After working on the left shock for about 2hrs I gave up. The next day i decided to take a look at the right fork and THER IT WAS> the allen. I then realized there was a sleeve in the left one blocking the allen .

After taking it out , the seals still didnt come out without a good fight.
                After getting it all back together I have a leak from the allen in the Left fork.. (ME) please!

Man on top of doubting all the kat gurus, I'm loosing it bad! Thanks for the help fellas .

Comment

how do i get the BOTTOM bolt out of the forks...turn right or left??

Comment

It's a standard RH thread bolt.
                    93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

thanks

Comment

ok i got the bottom bolt loose,but it will not come out.the damper rod just keeps turning . is their a tool i need buy?

Comment

i got it,using a piece of thin wood that has been filed to a taper at one end (a thin broom handle will do) push it down into the tube until it pushes against the bottom. Hold it tight & the bolt was out without a problem.:mrgreen:

Comment

Mmm - a broom stick! Now there's an idea LordMetal ! I was just gonna mention the special tool required which is basically a long T-hex. A standard socket won't work (too wide), but using ur broomstick idea, instead of shaping saw a 10mm head, one could drill a 8mm hole and slot a 10mm hex in there (assuming its a 10mm). Cheap and nasty ... but it'll work if u don't want to buy/weld the right tool or just don't have the time.

If the fork seal itself was stuck, this could have been an alternative :

Comment

Originally posted by Dozer7380 View Post

After taking it out , the seals still didnt come out without a good fight.
                              After getting it all back together I have a leak from the allen in the Left fork.
                              replace the washer,the mannual says to use threadlock.i would use a little teflon tape on the last threads by the head of the bolt.

Comment

Working...
                              X