X

Brake noise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake noise

Hey all! I just replaced the front and rear pads with ebc double-h pads and they are making noise. the fronts you can hear a scratching sound when you apply the brakes the rears squeal when applied? did i do something wrong?
    1996 Katana 600

04 Headers
    04 oil pan
    Yosh rs-3 Slip-on
    Factory Pro Jet Kit
    Factory Pro Shift Kit
    5 degree advancer

Pads do need to "bed in" They need to wear until they conform to the shape of the rotor. Like this:

Old pads:
    \/\/\/\/ Pad
    \/\/\/\/ Rotor

New pads:
    ________ Pad
    \/\/\/\/\/ Rotor

Running HH pads in the rear isn't usually recommended because they bite too hard and can be hard to control.

Comment

ok so hopefully they will get better, ive only had them on for 200 miles or so, the rotors look good so i dont think anything is getting hurt. also the thing stops very well so maybe i am being a worry wart?!
      1996 Katana 600

04 Headers
      04 oil pan
      Yosh rs-3 Slip-on
      Factory Pro Jet Kit
      Factory Pro Shift Kit
      5 degree advancer

Comment

Hmm 200 miles? That sounds like a lot for them to still be making noise. I think my EBC HH fronts bedded in after just 20 or so miles. Course that was city driving. So the brakes were used a lot.

Comment

i do alot of longer stuff to work is 22 miles one way so not much brakes. should i try and wear them in a little around town?
          1996 Katana 600

04 Headers
          04 oil pan
          Yosh rs-3 Slip-on
          Factory Pro Jet Kit
          Factory Pro Shift Kit
          5 degree advancer

Comment

so the noise is still there on both front and rear and the rear squeals until you put a good amount of pressure on the lever.
            1996 Katana 600

04 Headers
            04 oil pan
            Yosh rs-3 Slip-on
            Factory Pro Jet Kit
            Factory Pro Shift Kit
            5 degree advancer

Comment

disc brakes vibrate and squeak without grease. did you apply some to your pads?
              1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

no but i will try that tonite, also what are you supposed to lube the slides with?
                1996 Katana 600

04 Headers
                04 oil pan
                Yosh rs-3 Slip-on
                Factory Pro Jet Kit
                Factory Pro Shift Kit
                5 degree advancer

Comment

Originally posted by catfish View Post
                  disc brakes vibrate and squeak without grease. did you apply some to your pads?
                  The back of the pads..
                  Are you talking about the slide pins? Use any good grease, clean them first. I stick them in a drill and use scotch-brite.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                    The back of the pads..
                    Are you talking about the slide pins? Use any good grease, clean them first. I stick them in a drill and use scotch-brite.
                    Dear God I hope I am not that stupid to put it on the front of the pads!
                    Good call on the drill! Hey BP what about the fronts, they sound like when you use a brillo pad on a metal pan when i apply the brakes?
                    1996 Katana 600

04 Headers
                    04 oil pan
                    Yosh rs-3 Slip-on
                    Factory Pro Jet Kit
                    Factory Pro Shift Kit
                    5 degree advancer

Comment

Originally posted by kzookat600 View Post
                      Dear God I hope I am not that stupid to put it on the front of the pads!
                      Well me too..
                      Good call on the drill! Hey BP what about the fronts, they sound like when you use a brillo pad on a metal pan when i apply the brakes?
                      Jeez man it can't be bedding in at this point. What are the pads? Maybe something in the composition? Metal sintered pads?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                        Well me too..

Jeez man it can't be bedding in at this point. What are the pads? Maybe something in the composition? Metal sintered pads?
                        You know what, I just checked the receipt from bikebandit and they are the ebc HH pads and they do say they are sintered. So which ones do I need and did I screw up my rotors by using the sintered pads?
                        1996 Katana 600

04 Headers
                        04 oil pan
                        Yosh rs-3 Slip-on
                        Factory Pro Jet Kit
                        Factory Pro Shift Kit
                        5 degree advancer

Comment

I think I used EBC HH pads from Ron ayers.. I wonder if you just have bad pads..

Comment

If you don't want to change the rear pads to something with less grip, then you may want to think about lowering the rear brake lever so that you really have to rock your foot down further to apply a lot of rear brake.

I just don't want to see a "I just high-sided" thread from you.
                            -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                              If you don't want to change the rear pads to something with less grip, then you may want to think about lowering the rear brake lever so that you really have to rock your foot down further to apply a lot of rear brake.

I just don't want to see a "I just high-sided" thread from you.
                              Good advice. I did this same thing after putting on the SS lines on my bike. First time out, I braked like I normally do and locked the rear end. My rear brake pedal is now like \ instead of __

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X