X

97 750f katana swingarm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 750f katana swingarm

hello all, i am new hear and this looks like a great place for info, so here it goes, i have a 1997 katana 750f and i want to put a wider swingarm on for a bigger tire and i would like to extend it also and any info would be great. thank you.

Hi, welcome to Katriders a great source for repair and modification information for your GSXF Suzuki, please take the time to browse the different forums and read the how-to/faq forum before asking any questions. You may find just the answer you were looking for and so much more! Click here for the Newbie thread
    Too impatient? I bet one of these was your question:
    Q. What's the biggest rear tire?
    A. 150/70ZR17 Is the Factory specified tire
    Q. what oil should I use?
    A. click
    Q. Can I wheelie my Katana?
    A. Yes
    Q. Can I shift without the clutch?
    A. Upshift from 2nd up, yes. Down shift, never. 1st to 2nd never.

(6/07/2007)
    Last edited by Black_peter; 03-23-2008, 07:43 AM.

Comment

try c&s customs or thompson custom cycles..i know they both make them for post 98 bikes...google them and check out their sites

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

OK then...back to his original question ....he wants a widened, stretched swingarm....nothing stock at all about that, which he realizes, hence asking where he could find such item. C&S Customs and Thompson Cutom Cycle both make 240 kits for Katanas, and will put whatever stretch in them you would like. If I remember correctly, you can swap in all post 98 hardware to your pre without any serious modifications, making the swingarm from C&S or TCC a simple swap... I think you will need the post 98 shock knuckle and dogbones as well to complete the swap.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Putting a post 98 stock swing arm on a pre frame is NOT easy.
          The pivot tube on a pre is 1/4" wider
          So, 1/8" has to come off either side.
          The pre pivot is smaller in diameter then a post. So you need to use the pre pivot bolt and the pre bearing inserts and the pre thrust washers. Along with a 98+ brake torque arm and 98+ rear caliper, and 98+ rear shock knuckle and dog bones.

I did it for 3 reasons:
          1 - I have a GSXR suspension the added 1 1/2" can't hurt.
          2 - Raising a lowering a post suspension is WAY easier. While I've done the correct spacers to use post suspension parts on a pre, using a post swing arm, you retain the bearing.
          3 - (purely cosmetic) With a post the brake torque arm and caliper mount below the swing arm, there you can use a hugger with no modification.
          Last edited by Black_peter; 03-23-2008, 07:39 AM.

Comment

@polarity
            It comes down too three options:

Have the stock s-arm widened and stretched. (not my favorite but anyhow)
            Use a donor swingarm, needs shaving, grinding cutting and relocating off the lower subframe, most off the time relocating off the shockmounts too.
            Have a swingarm made by a firm specialized in this kind off matter.

Last option is most expensive but you prolly won't need to do any other work at the bike, especially if you want stretched there won't be the need to mod the subrails.
            Last edited by Black_peter; 03-23-2008, 07:40 AM.

Comment

btw the added 1 1/2" does hurt cornering if you're stretching your wheelbase with that same addition.
              Last edited by Black_peter; 03-23-2008, 07:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
              X