X

Brake Fluid Capacity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Fluid Capacity

I am having trouble locating the brake fluid capacity. Does anyone know how many pints/quarts ect are required for all new fluid? (Extra for bleeding too)
    -2000 "750"

I think the least amount I've used was around 1.5 pints.

I think the most amount I used was a little over a quart and a half.... but that was on a former members bike... and the fluid kept coming out looking like mud.

I'd suggest buying three pints, and only open the ones you need to use. You can then either return, or hang on to the unopened containers. the issue is, that once you break the seal on the bottle the fluid will start attracting moisture.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      I think the least amount I've used was around 1.5 pints.

I think the most amount I used was a little over a quart and a half.... but that was on a former members bike... and the fluid kept coming out looking like mud.

I'd suggest buying three pints, and only open the ones you need to use. You can then either return, or hang on to the unopened containers. the issue is, that once you break the seal on the bottle the fluid will start attracting moisture.

Thanks. I was surprised not to find this information in the Haynes or pdf manual I got from here. I am thinking it has to be in the Haynes and I just missed it.
      Do autopart stores usually carry Castrol GT LMA?
      -2000 "750"

Comment

While I agree with the 1.5 pint, I have never used more than 1 pint. and I'm pretty aggressive when it comes to flushing..
        A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Keep to pints.. You can easily use up a pint (or save it for caliper rebuilds).
        I never use opened brake fluid on the bike.

I like getting from dennis kirk. The price is pretty good and I know they have Castrol LMA..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
          While I agree with the 1.5 pint, I have never used more than 1 pint. and I'm pretty aggressive when it comes to flushing..

I like getting from dennis kirk. The price is pretty good and I know they have Castrol LMA..
          I was expecting to hear from you in this thread. I have several of your brake related threads bookmarked. The caliper rebuild is especially nice . In that thread you mention using the brake fluid for cleaning purposes. Any specific reason?? My guess is that it does the job and is already purchased.
          -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
            In that thread you mention using the brake fluid for cleaning purposes. Any specific reason?? My guess is that it does the job and is already purchased.
            Yup thats about it.. The calipers I rebuilt for that how too were really nasty.
            Yet I was able to clean them up fine with what I had on hand. That was the key. I don't like aerosol products for several reasons:
            a. environmental
            b. cost.
            c. danger (easy to get it in your eyes etc..)
            d. wasteful (you end up getting it everywhere)
            So I thought I would write it up using more economical/safer methods.

Now about why the capacity isn't in the books.
            For one I think brake fluid gets short shrift. So many people are happy to use any crap they find on the shelf. Hell they will pay more for a 1/2 Red Bull than a pint of brake fluid?? Something they change once in a blue moon? (I recommend flushing it twice a year by the way)
            Also I think the actually capacity is like 6 oz. The smallest amount you can realistically buy is a pint.. Unlike oil where you could buy too little there is little chance you will buy too little brake fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post

I tried to do the kat with only a pint on hand, and ran out before I had the rear sufficently bled.... of course that was partially my fault because one of the bolts was a little loose.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You guys have any idea on some other "cheap" items I should pick up from Dennis Kirk if I place an order. $7 shipping is a bit much for $12 worth of stuff. I was thinking maybe a cable luber, or some pro-gel grips. (I think they have the right ones).

Something in the $20 dollar range. Maybe a useful tool I don't know I need yet
                -2000 "750"

Comment

My best advice?
                  Get a new clutch cable and or speedo cable. Or even a throttle cable. But clutch for sure..
                  Knowing you have a cable sitting in the garage the second you see trouble (stretching or fraying) is priceless. I did that each time I ordered something and now have a full set ready and waiting..
                  You're likely to change it the same day you see it rather than put it off or wait for it to be shipped.. Also spark plugs if they have them.

Comment

Clutch cable is a good idea. I didn't get one from CP because I was anticipating getting the luber this time instead. The clutch does feel a little hard to pull in (not that I really have anything to compare to). I will definitely take a look at that. Might as well change it when I check the valves. That would make getting one cable out of the way a little easier.

Any good tips on removing the throttle cable from the carbs? I have an Ivan's to install and that means the carbs are going to leave the bike. I've read that removing that cable can be a little frustrating. Needle nose, hemostats???

And yes it is my thread so I can hijack it if I want to
                    Last edited by Cheriff; 02-29-2008, 10:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    -2000 "750"

Comment

Eeesh 98+ has two cables. I have never had issues removing the ones from my pre 98. I loosen the top nut then should be able to slide the cable out to the side. After that you should have enough slack to twist the cable end out.

Comment

Working...
                      X