X

Forks: Costs vs. Experience

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forks: Costs vs. Experience

I need to replace the seal on one of my forks (although I plan to do both forks) but am wondering if anyone knows the average cost a dealership would charge. Being able to do it myself isn't my concern, it's purchasing all the items to get it done (the largest expense being a front stand seeing as I don't have exposed joists to attach straps to and such) so it would be that and then the parts for the actual repair job. Having just purchased the bike I am somewhat reserved on spending more money on things I may not need for another year or so (at which time I'll have more money to purchase) so I'm thinking of just handing over a few bills and having it done properly and quickly.

What're your thoughts?
    Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson afterwards

you don't need a front stand. Take the belly pan off and lift the bike up and have your sister or some chit slide jack stands under each side of the engine cradle.

Comment

Or a wood block like I did last time . Shop will likely rape you for fork rebuild . Getting the parts yourself for like $30 and maybe a day out of your life sounds WAY better to me . Of course , I like to think I can do the job now in a couple hours after getting some practice .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

When I started poking around my Kat I thought one of these would come in handy a few times a year....and it has.

Now that I have two bike I can always be doing something to one of them so this took gets full time use

Comment

Originally posted by Plutonium View Post
          I need to replace the seal on one of my forks (although I plan to do both forks) but am wondering if anyone knows the average cost a dealership would charge.
          Way too much. $180? More? You can call them up and they can tell you over the phone. I bet they charge a fixed rate for conventional forks.
          Oh that's labor only. And probably with the forks off the bike.

Comment

Dealer wanted $100 for parts and $240 for labour so I spent $150 on parts and tools. Although the manual I have seems vague. It's... not going as smoothly as I think it should? Can't get the two parts of the fork separated after using that hammer suggestion (pulling the two apart making one bang against the oil seal) Any suggestions?

P.S. Does that nut that's located by the hole for the axle have to be removed? Manual says just to loosen it (if you can call it that, I still can't turn it w/ a wrench, need a long lever to even move it)
            Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRam View Post
              http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2792

When I started poking around my Kat I thought one of these would come in handy a few times a year....and it has.

Now that I have two bike I can always be doing something to one of them so this took gets full time use
              Wow that cheap, how does it work? I guess you slide it under via one side of the bike? My front forks are a joke as well but I wasn't really sure how to get the bike off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Plutonium View Post
                P.S. Does that nut that's located by the hole for the axle have to be removed? Manual says just to loosen it (if you can call it that, I still can't turn it w/ a wrench, need a long lever to even move it)
                That nut has permanent threadlocker on it. You will need an impact gun or wrench to loosen it

I removed mine, and took everything apart for cleaning and inspection. Take your time and separate everything out. It was my first fork teardown, and took about 3 hours, but better than paying out the 2 hours of labour that the shop quoted me.
                Last edited by Lehbs; 03-10-2008, 08:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
                Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Working...
                X